Is it possible?

hedowns

I have bills to pay and I’m eating off my savings while building our startup from basically nothing. I graduated college in 2022 and worked before that, is it possible to work at a YC series B and over company as I’m building our product? Do most people do this? It’s a very real question and I feel like most people in my age don’t have a definitive answer for it. I definitely need a job to eat but I also have time to dedicate during the day to someone else’s company as well as things go forward with our startup, thoughts?

@hedowns Try a large corporate job (banks, telcos, etc). It's not that intense, and you have a good chance of finding time for your startup. It's worth working in an area that's close to your startup's target market if it's B2B, so you can learn a lot about how decisions are made, who does what etc.

@hedowns Outside of getting your work done, you don't owe a company anything (that you don't want to owe them). Unless there are some legal clauses in your contract that say otherwise, working on whatever you want outside of your normal job is fine.

@hedowns Dude cut back your costs, get a part time job doing whatever, and focus on your startup. If you’re not earning a bit of $$ from your startup in 12 months….get a job

@blesseddove I AGREE WITH OLE BUDDY RIGHT YONDER BECAUSE HE SPEAKIN FACTS.
In all seriousness though, I think his recommendation to be best. I’ve worked on my own schedule with companies through the past and it was always best to have a crazy easy part time job. My recommendations, because they’re fairly common, would be gas stations or restaurants. Places like that have higher turnover rates which makes scheduling much more desirable as an employee. Also they’re going to be much more generous with the employee food than most would think; which solves two problems with one compromise. You’re probably better off getting paid 10-15 an hour for 2-4 shifts a week and having that cushion to fall back on.

@hedowns I joined college after my corporate and startup journey. If you are super sure of your skills and the success of startup - customers should love and pay, in short term, try to get some funding or move to a cheaper place and build. Working in corporate and building is also an option. If you want more skills or want to see startup growth and problems first hand, join series B- there won't be fomo since customers aren't paying you yet

@hedowns Why not make enough money to eat from your own startup? http://www.paulgraham.com/ramenprofitable.html

If you do however need to make extra money before you get to ramen profitable, then do it consulting or freelance work.

If, however, you do end up employed, make sure you request a schedule of exceptions as part of the proprietary innovation and information agreement; otherwise, everything you create belongs to the employer. Saying you did not build during company time or equipment is insufficient when it comes to diligence for raising money later or claims your former employer can make. https://financialpost.com/technology/blackberry-and-kik-settle-instant-messaging-spat (one case off the top of my head)

Also, a salary is addictive, so put away all the money you make that is not spent on shelter, water, food, and internet.

The last option is the least optimal of options.

@romane91 Dude I live with my parents since I started, my expenses in total amount to less than 500 bucks a month which is just for groceries basically. But the point you made about schedule of exceptions is super important thank you for that I’m definitely going to keep that in mind.

@hedowns It doesnt matter if its a YC series B or whatever companies, i think the matter here is the work ethic. As long as u let the employer know that u r pursuing a dream outside of this full time job, but u can still dedicate your time to get the shit done within working hrs and its better if u can excel their need, then its ok. But dont hide the truth and just work here to take their money and work for yours.

Back