Just Started a Residential Cleaning Business NOW WHAT!

mcsterling

Hi!

I recently started a residential cleaning business and I am not sure what to do next to get clients or grow. Below I will post what my cleaning business is all about and what questions that are stopping me from being the company I envisioned in my head when I first purchased the LLC. I am willing to learn, try, and fail.

Who:
  1. Douglas Cleaning and Services, we specialize in residential and commercial cleaning services that improve indoor air quality by utilizing eco-friendly products and air filters. Our commitment to customer satisfaction means that we ask for feedback after the first clean and implement improvements to ensure that every clean is as perfect as the first.
Why:
  1. Poor indoor air quality in homes and offices can lead to respiratory problems, allergies, and other health issues.
What I have:
  1. LLC
  2. I have a quote to get insured ready for when I get my first cleaning Gig.
  3. Logo
  4. A team that have over 30 years of cleaning experience.
  5. professional phone number and Email
What's Stopping me:
  1. How do I find clients?
  2. How do I create a client recruiting system?
  3. Is calling every business in my county that i can find on yellow pages okay?
    1. What do i say?
  4. Is it worth handing out hand written letters to every home i pass?
  5. I went for low handing fruit and contacted everyone in my contact list but no one has gotten back to me. (Was this the move?)
  6. How do I network?
  7. Can i do a referral program where for each person you refer to me, you get 5% of the cost to clean their home, and 8% for each clean if they decide to do reoccurring cleaning?
  8. I cannot seem to find a steady way to quote, so i cam up with this equation to ensure i am always making profit, what do you think?
    1. 3. ((Time To Clean * Cost of Labor) *2.5) + Additional Expenses)

@mcsterling Congratulations on starting your business!

First step would be to set up your online profile. Making yourself findable in the places your clientele are actively searching is key to generating new and steady flow of clients.

FB: Create your page, join FB cleaning groups (for knowledge and networking) and join local groups for real estate and sales (you can provide services to those getting rid of junk, moving out, or setting up a new home.)

Google: Create a GBP. I cannot stress how important this is. Create it and create it correctly. You will show up on computer searches, Google Map searches and Mobile searches (which accounts for 68-72% of searches.)

Website: Some people will tell you it’s not important & I would disagree. You need a place where they can see example of the work you do, the quality you provide and a simple way for them to 1) set an appointment 2) get in contact with you.

On a website I am building, the first thing on the website is a form for lead generation.

Name, number, email, select service, select frequency.

That form is on the homepage 3 times. We’re experimenting with a calculator to see if we can generate more leads, specifically “price people.”

Get a CRM. I find most people who don’t come from a sales background are unaware of it. It will be what holds your business together and allow you to scale. Leads from the website will be dropped in immediately. You can set up automatic emails, automated text messages, makes calls, keep notes and in some instances send out invoices. Keeps you organized and professional.

Hope this helps. After you have the above set up, join you local Chamber of Commerce. Do a grand opening and network with members. If there isn’t a “Cleaning Guy/Gal” your job is to become that person! Do this right and you’ll get recurring commercial and residential business.

@mcsterling I started a cleaning business several years ago.

Almost everything I learned was from Angela Brown Cleaning on Youtube.

Go through all of her videos, she'll teach you just about everything.

Plus, she has a book, also on Kindle on Amazon that was good:

How to Start Your Own House Cleaning Company: Go From Startup to Payday in 1 Week

By Angela Brown

Totally worth it to study her.

@mcsterling If you can find a software that works well for you, and you feel is realistic, go for it. I didn’t have a software, and the first few jobs, I underbid.

You may, or may not find that you do better after you have experience, knowing how long a room might take.

PS. You always need to put in extra time for the first initial cleaning to get everything up to your standard.

As for proposals, I made a standard sheet or you may be able to find one free on Google. And I would just edit it with the correct information and reuse.

@mcsterling If you need a website and a system to quote, invoice, and receive payments, feel free to use this.

https://douglascleaningandservices.pagesmack.com

Have a look at the client portal.

It's something you can post on your local community pages.

For handouts, I'd suggest door hangers. And kudos to you for reaching out to your network. You're obviously not afraid to get out there and market your business. You'll be successful if your staff are solid and you can deliver wuality work.

@mcsterling I think you need to actually think about what you do actually know about recruiting clients.

You start by going through the network of relationships you’ve built over the years, you call them up and tell them that you’re starting and would like a chance to offer them your service in exchange for honest reviews and feedback. If they like it, ask them for referrals.

Get a few actual customers under your belt and you’ll be off to the races. All the system building comes later.

@yanawak I like it!! My thoughts aswell. I messaged everyone in my contacts recently, telling them what i provided. Luckily i had 2 property managers and and realtors in my phone. They said they would give me a shot and i should stay posted. So now i am waiting. I have the basic cleaning stuff ready but i wont know all that i need until i get a job.

@mcsterling They also don’t need to know how popular/unpopular you are yet. You can always use language saying something like “we’re ramping up quickly but I’m prioritizing people I’ve done business with in the past so please let me know soon before we are booked up.”

@yanawak Try EDDM through the post office in your community. The comment above is a great idea. Eventually when you gain some clients reach out to property management companies that take care of bnb's.

@ldssurvivor Brooo I did not even know this was a thing until now!! I herd hand written notes go a long way with this. Thoughts? Also, if you have done this, any tips on a a script?

@mcsterling I have done this it gave me a few clients which in turn started the referral process and gained reviews. There wasn't really a script. I designed a postcard with my company logo, website and intruding myself to the community. I gave senior discounts for a period of time type of deal.

@mcsterling Cold call a few people. It’s terrifying but it can lead to some great customers. If you’re polite, respectful, and can take no for an answer then you’re not even burning a bridge if they say no thanks

@elbee85 Monday this will be my goal. Have you cold call? Should the first words out my mouth be a introduction of me and my business? Should I ask for the manager? Any tips for formulating a script ?

@mcsterling Since it is a type of soliciting, make your introduction very brief. I am strictly writing this based on what makes sense to me and what I think might work.

"Hi my name is [first name] with [company name], how are you doing today? ( Let them answer and if they ask how you are doing say good and thank them for asking). I am reaching out to see if you were in any need of a cleaning service. My company is taking new clients and you are within my service area."

Or something to that effect. If they let you get to the end of your piece, then answer any questions they may have about your work. Have pricing rates nailed down or offer free or cheap estimates. Depends on what you are comfortable with.

You could even try a scientific approach and have like three different scripts laid out. Try each script on 10 different people and see which one lands you more jobs. Also don't read it off. Let it be organic.

Hope it helps!

@mcsterling First thing I do is try to find a manager or owner for the place on LinkedIn and when I call I ask for them. I make sure to ask nicely and am totally open about my intentions. In your shoes I would do something like “hi (name) my name is (name) from (company), we just started and I was wondering if you’d like to discuss cleaning and pricing for your building?” If you have a promo or something running also mention it in that, you have about 15 seconds to get them interested lol

Cold calling can be rough but you will get more people actually hearing your name than from just cold emailing. If you’re respectful and they say no, they may always come back later too

@mcsterling I started a remote cleaning biz 10 years ago, now turned it into a national franchise. I started via Reddit as well, so big congrats on getting going.

First quick steps: get your Google my business page set up, sign up for Google local service ads.

Your max cleaner pay should be around 45-55% of your revenue, all in with supplies.

My podcast about this: www.beremotelocal.com

Happy to share more, just reply here with your questions

@cindy4him I made the google business page this morning. Regarding Ads, i have to activate my insurance quote to get verified on google before making ads. I told my insurance company to do that this morning, so now i am waiting.