Just started my 3rd month painting apartments, $10k in revenue on the books

austriele

I started this in the beginning of September. I set up my LLC and EIN on my own after seeing how easy it was from searching Reddit. A maintenance tech my wife knows gave me the name of an affordable liability insurance company. I had recently purchased most of the tools that I needed because we are redoing our personal home. It was really just a couple brushes, some rollers and frames, extension pole and a little giant ladder. Somehow I manage to cram all this into my hatchback. All-in my startup costs were under $1000, and I have recurring bills for quickbooks and insurance at $50/month total. The management companies pay for paint and I supply the labor.

This all started from running routes with my wife. She sells flooring to apartment complexes. We walked a unit one of their painters had ruined by getting lazy and not masking the floor. I asked the property manager what they paid him and said I could do a better job and she wouldn’t have to call anyone to fix them once I was done. She said I needed an LLC and insurance. I started two weeks later.

I still have my w-2 job for the insurance and peace of mind for now. I paint 8-16 hours a week, only on weekends. I may try and break into residential next year if I have the time or a big enough life raft to float the family when I leave my job.

@613jono Thanks! They’re talking about moving my position to 3/12s sometime next year which gives me 2 extra days off every week. The insurance is just impossible to beat.

@austriele That's awesome, I'm also a painting contractor currently only doing new construction but I've had years of experience with doing apartments/move outs. Feel free to shoot me a message if you ever run into any weird questions you have and I have no problems helping you choose a paint sprayer when that time comes.