Kayak/Paddle Board Rental

Hello everyone

I have been looking into getting a fleet of kayaks and paddle boards ( with necessary gear) to rent out.

What i would like to know are:
What type of kayaks are best to rent out? Sit-on-top, sit-in or a mix of both. Should i keep tandems or even have canoes? While most kayaks would be recreational kayaks, should i have a couple of sea/surf kayaks for those who are experienced kayakers?
Same as for paddle boards, which ones are more stable and robust enough for rentals?

Should i offer tours? I have been kayaking for a few years and have 2 ( sea and surf/play kayaks) of my own and would love to promote the sport. Zero experience with paddle boards but i see them everywhere when i am out on the water.

I live near beautiful beaches and river systems on the Canada's East Coast.

Our tourism is quite solid. That said, our tourist season is short lived. Between May and October with about 6-8 weeks of peak in the summer months.

I work F/T in an industry where i can take 2-3 months off during summer months.

Plans are to get an enclosed trailer to secure my fleet and gear. Have everything pertaining to running a small business in order, including business insurance and waivers.

Would like to get 8-10 Fat Bikes to rent out from same trailer during Winter months on weekends. As fat biking is getting more and more popular in my area.

Looking for pros and cons of running such a business from those who have experience.

Thanks

@sinnersavedsaint Where are they going to pick these up? Are you going to drop the kayaks off at whatever boat launch they feel like using? I feel like anytime I’ve rented something similar the shop was located a few hundred feet from the launch

@jaboi I was thinking of being static in the one area, on a wharf/ marina with high tourist traffic during summer peak months. And offer delivery and pick-up service outside of peak season. Would also try to organize down river run tours in the Spring time .

Still just weighing all pros/cons right now.