Learn science through bite-sized lectures and quizzes

cobes1128

Hi everyone, I'd love to get your feedback on my website, value proposition Pocket Scholar.
  • The product- A website to teach undergraduate science interactively through bite-sized animated videos and quizzes to test how well you understood the material.
  • The Market size- For now, I have the first section of an introduction to chemistry course. I know that about 1 million people take this course in the US each year and I would like to expand to other college and high school classes in the future
  • The Competition- The biggest competition are tutors, free videos on youtube, and to a limited extent Kahn Academy- which has lectures and quizzes but they do not really exhaustively teach and their quizzes are quite limited.
  • Stage that I'm in- I’m in the early stages where I’m trying to validate my MVP. I just launched a week ago, so this is really in the beginning and I’m getting my feet wet
  • Conversion Strategy- My conversion strategy is to come out with new sections, have the first lecture be free, and charge for subsequent sections. Each section has 45 minutes of videos and about 60 questions. Eventually having a monthly fee would be ideal, but I don’t have enough content yet. Once I had a loyal following, I'd like to service entire classrooms.
  • Why me?- I am a chemistry PhD turned full stack developer with a love for design. I can shoot the shit about quantum mechanics, gush about After Effects, or discuss why React and GraphQL are the best things in the world for building a web application.

@cobes1128 Hey there. Let's see.
  • "Science is for everyone" That's a kind of slogan-y headline that runs counter to what you're saying about your target market. Not everyone cares about undergraduate chemistry courses (I have nothing against them :)). You need to make the value prop/headline far more direct.
  • "We believe that anyone can develop a strong foundation in science and Pocket Scholar interactively teaches you step-by-step from the beginning." Pro-tip: avoid "we" when writing marketing/sales copy. Always adopt the point of view of your audience. Use "you" and direct action verbs.
I could go on with the analysis but I think it's important to stop here and reflect a bit. Who's the audience? Is it the undergraduates going to college? In that case, what are you offering them on top of their existing textbooks, lecture notes, and so on? That's what you need to explain to them. If on the other hand you're aiming at the general public, you need something more high level about what they're going to get from learning chemistry with you.

I've seen other similar products applied in other domains, like Smartly, so the format can probably work, but it has to be marketed properly. So far you're missing a solid explanation of the value your particular audience can hope to gain from using your product.