Looking for feedback on my newsletter on how successful companies used brand to fuel growth

mowo

I've been building a list of case stories on how startups have used brand to accelerate growth. I think they’ve got lessons that would be useful for people building side projects, so I’d love to know what you think of the case studies. I’d appreciate your feedback so I can make them even more useful!

EXAMPLE NEWSLETTER: This week, I wrote about how Fishwife’s founders used positioning, a TikTok trend, and design to drive 200% growth in 3 years.

This is the story of Fishwife.

In 3 years Fishwife:
Three things that fueled Fishwife’s growth

Positioning: Positioning is about finding a distinctive and desirable space in your customer’s minds. Tinned fish isn’t new - but what Fishwife got tons of people who have never eaten tinned fish interested in trying it. Fishwife’s positioning: Tinned fish = ultimate hot girl food. Writing a positioning statement is easy - what’s hard is sticking to it, but Fishwife does. Fishwife don’t sell tuna, they sell sustainable tinned fish. They don’t work with fishermen, they work with small boat fisherfolk. What do hot girls^TM like? Female founded businesses. Ethically sourced, premium, delicious food. Sexy identities.

Story-culture fit. Fishwife’s growth was fueled in part by the TikTok ‘hot girl food’ trend: women in their 20s & 30s re-discovering tinned fish. What they did well: acted fast, positioned themselves to take advantage of the trend and in doing so fueled the media’s breathless coverage of the brand. Also worth mentioning: co-founder Carolyn Goldfarb, comedian and curator of @officialseanpean, sports nearly 400K followers which “helped things move really, really fast,” according to Millstein.

Investment in bold identity. The higher your margins, the more design matters. Fishwife tapped illustrator Danbo to give life to the brand’s tins, and Natalie Berger to shoot editorial quality food photos. Neither had worked in CPG or food photography before. The bet paid off: the colorful packaging and high end photography was shared widely by press, influencers, and customers.

Clever collabs. Brand growth is fueled by your audience’s ability to remember you (mental availability) and purchase your product (physical availability). Collaborations are a strategic exercise in increasing both. Now, Fishwife are leveraging this strategy by partnering with female founded companies: Fishwife x Talea, Fishwife x MYH Soy Candle Co, Fishwife x Fly by Jing (Sichuan chili sauce) to expand their reach.

TLDR: Fishwife leaned into a cultural trend, beautiful packaging and ‘hot girl food’ positioning to grow 200% in 3 years.

If you liked this and want stories on how other companies have used brand to drive growth, I collect them here. This should give you ideas on how to use brand to fuel growth and give you an unfair advantage over your competitors.

@mowo that sounds like a valuable resource. focusing on case studies like fishwife provides practical, real-world insights.

positioning, tapping into cultural trends, and clever collaborations are key takeaways.

your breakdown of fishwife's strategy is detailed and informative. i'll definitely check out more at your substack link.

curious, how do you select the companies you feature? also, how do you ensure a diverse range of industries and sizes?

it's great to see resources like this for those looking to learn from successful branding strategies.

anyone else have thoughts or examples of effective brand-driven growth?

@zertey Thanks @zertey. Appreciate the feedback. Good q - right now I'm going on gut feel to select companies that I think have really strong brands. I've worked in branding for a decade so I'm sure I'm using some criteria, but it feels a bit subconscious. To put a finer point on it, it's mostly: B2C, founder led, challenger brands or category creators. They're not necessarily diverse yet since I've only published 8 newsletters. Stay tuned! :)