Maker Games v. Status Games

twointwomillion

This is a bit of different type of post but it's something that I've been thinking about and that I feel might be relevant to founders. Not only in terms of your own happiness but also as a way to spark new ideas about marketing to consumers and creating the right products for your customers.

Let's get into it.

Status games are collective, hierarchical, zero-sum, finite, and measured by others.

You play them with and for others. For me to win, you have to lose. If I take more pieces of the pie, there are fewer pieces left.

There is no win or lose without context. There’s no good or bad. Only better than or worse than.

Each event determines your status at that moment.

You do the work because it’s merely a means to an end.

Maker games are individual, meritocratic, non-zero-sum, infinite, and measured by you or by real selective pressures, e.g. laws of nature, the market, etc.

See The Expert Problem in this essay: Marketing Is Comedy, Not Engineering

You play them alone and for yourself. There’s a strong compulsive component. You know what’s good and what’s not. You judge the work, not others.

There are others like you, some in front of you, and some behind you. Different levels of experts, hence meritocratic.

For me to win, everyone else can win. Since winning simply means becoming better at achieving ‘goodness worthy of praise’. We’re not taking pieces of the pie, we’re growing the pie.

Status is a function of the promises made to yourself and kept, as well as the realization that you’re facing your fears (instead of hiding or running away from them) and pushing yourself to your full potential.

Hence, infinite games. Each individual event in isolation isn’t that important, it’s the string of events that matters here.

You do the work because you can’t not do the work. It’s almost compulsive and you may even look down on rewards for the work (e.g. money, degrees, awards.) [1]

Most people play status games… but not you.

NOTES​

[1] There’s no judgment in here. It’s not right or wrong. In fact, a strong aversion to money because one feels it betrays the values of a real [fill in the blank] might even be counterproductive. E.g. there are many creatives who’d be able to create more and better things if they had the financial means.

[2] I was thinking about whether or not status in social dynamics is oligopolistic, meaning, there are a select few that have all the status. Or if it functions along a smooth continuum. Female Tinder would suggest the former, Male tinder the latter. It’s interesting to think about how this relates to consumer behavior and branding.

If you enjoyed this essay, I got a newsletter here: https://www.younglingfeynman.com/subscribe

Where I talk about entrepreneurial science, consumer behavior design, and ways to take your business from average to extraordinary.

RJ out.

Edit: If anyone wants clarification on certain ideas laid out here or if you want to engage in productive dialogue, I’m more than open.

@twointwomillion What you just said, was one of the most insanely, idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

@rlb I respect your opinion. I personally don’t think it’s incoherent or irrational. But it’s definitely much less pragmatic than the usual post here.

I laid out my position so if there are specific places where you disagree, we can get into that. But if your argument is just ‘you’re dumb’, then clearly I can’t defend that.

Also, if you go through my history, you’ll see a multitude of my posts that have many upvotes in this subreddit and subreddits like it. That doesn’t jive with your implications that I’m some
babbling idiot.

I’ll grant you that this post is more complex because I wanted to focus on precision and conciseness more than pragmatism, which is what I said at the very top.

So again, if you want to debate specific points, let’s get into it. I’m open to productive dialogue.

@twointwomillion 1) This sub is called Sweaty Startup. How does anything in your post relate? Do you even know what this sub is about?

2) You're definition of "multitude" is far different then mine. You have one post with 126 upvotes in a different sub that is also shared in this sub with 36 upvotes. Last I checked multitude does not equal one. Despite the upvotes, the information contained within that post is rudimentary at best and offers little, vague, round about ways of not saying much of anything really. All sizzle no steak.

3) I'm not the only one who thinks this post is pure bovine defecation. Taken from another sub you posted this.

imho you are not making any sense without providing.
some contextual clues to what you are rambling on
about...you have lost me at the first paragraph. Maybe
more elaboration and less jargon?

4) Bottom line is this post may be jam packed with eloquent fluff words however, it adds zero value to this sub and only serves as another spammy link to your blog like the rest of your posts elsewhere.

I'll leave you with a famous quote from the late William Madison.

Code:
Chlorophyll? More like bore-ophyll.

@rlb Did you read the answer I gave him? I was hoping to have productive discourse but it seems you’re not open to that.

That’s just blatantly false. Also, you’re moving the goal post. Which makes sense because you’re motivated by confirmation bias (I think you suck therefore you suck) rather than objective discourse about what I wrote.

It relates to this sub because understanding status vs maker games is important to the founder in terms of happiness and success. And it’s important to the startup in terms of consumer behavior.

That being said, I realized this may be received poorly because it might go over some people’s heads. You appear to be an example of that. Which is why this format was an experiment.

If this is not your cup of tea, I respect that. But you have failed to bring up even one argument that challenges anything in the thesis I’ve laid out.

So I’ll stop engaging here. Have a good one.

@twointwomillion I answered your reply with honest feedback and examples to refute your claims. Shutting down and getting defensive with nothing to backup, further proves my point.

Here's one simple argument for you to defend. How does your post add value to the sweaty startup sub and its community? Please offer specific examples that relate to this subs theme and any implementation as it relates to sweaty startups.

I gladly await your response and silence is confirmation.

@rlb I was already typing a response but my
damn reddit app crashed.. it’s really petty and disappointing that you edited in that last sentence man.. it really shows you’re more interested with ‘winning’ than genuinely exchanging ideas and both of us learning something.

@rlb I see now further engaging with you was a mistake. I’ll happily answer your questions when you stop being rude. When you mature and you’re interested in exchanging ideas, let me know. But arguing with trolls is not something worthy of my time. Bye.

@twointwomillion I've asked this question 3 times now.

How does your post add value to the sweaty startup sub and its community? Please offer specific examples that relate to this subs theme and any implementation as it relates to sweaty startups.

Any lack of an answer to this question confirms my original comment.

Back