Maternity leaves in SMEs

maxi00

I have a small store employing 3 cashiers. All of them are women. I also have one in the office that works as a cashier in case 2 of the cashiers are on leave/absent. I found out na one of them is pregnant. No problem naman kase kumpleto sila sa benefits. My only concern is the length of the leave. Paid leave is around 3 months and that is quite long. Hindi pa ako sure kung within that time, merong mag aabsent na other employees. My only option is to hire a new one.

I have 2 concerns when hiring a new cashier:
  1. Nobody wants to work for only 3 months and no, agencies that provides temp workers are not common kaya ekis na agad tong suggestion na to.
  2. If magdecide akong gawing regular ang new hire, magkakaroon ako ng surplus of cashiers when the other employee will come back to work.
Number 2 will only work if I will shorten their shifts and lessen their work days to give way to the new hire.

@maxi00 Nung buntis yung 2nd in command ko/chief of staff. college na working student kinuha ko to cover the shifts lang na need ng cashier. minsan nagpipitch in ako, ginamit ko nalang din oras to optimize certain things.

To solve this issue long term napilitan kami magscale, less profitable yung new business pero laking bawas sakit ng ulo sa staff. May ROI parin plus we just took that hit para di na kami mapagod kakahire and fire and manage ng shifts pag may umaabsent. idk if practical for you yan right now pero mas marami kaming narorotate na staff. Just a thought.

Back