Monitoring for an early product?

tina8462

Hey everyone, I’ve worked in DevOps at a handful of startups over the last decade, and monitoring seems to be the last thing on everyone’s mind while building early versions of a product. Building features, moving fast, limited resources—it’s not unreasonable that adding alerts & monitoring isn't top of the list.

So I’ve recently started working on a tool that gives devs the basics of monitoring without the setup or overhead of traditional vendors. Basic metrics and logging, zero-effort setup, and no “hardcore DevOps” experience required.

My goal here is to build the monitoring tool that works for personal projects all the way through products with 100k users. I think I can help devs even before scale understand where there might be bottlenecks, a memory leak, or user churn.

I’m curious, what do y’all think? I, as well as a ton of my friends into side projects & startups + people I follow seem to never get around to monitoring, so I figured what if they didn’t have to spend time on this, and a tool just did it all for them?

Am I over complicating it? Is this interesting to you? What do you want to monitor if you're building a product and before you have lots of scale?

I'd love your feedback and discussion about this.

edit: I created an early interest list if you'd like to follow along on my progress https://learn.zeet.co/monitoring-for-startups

@haithai01 Sure, a few monitors that I'm thinking are website uptime & latency, downtime for 3rd party APIs (e.g. stripe, openAI), memory, cpu, and disk for databases & AWS services (e.g. EKS). I'm also thinking about doing some level of profiling for NextJS and Python and share metrics around that.

Are there any metrics you think are relevant for products still in development, or live product before they are reaching massive scale?

@tina8462 You can add Sentry or NewRelic with a few lines of code. What exactly are you trying to build? Simplified version of well known services?

@mohmed I'm trying to build a tool that is best fit for devs and small teams who are building in the stages before massive scale. Sentry & New Relic are tools I love, but have more value when there is maturity of team and higher scale than what I'm thinking. So I'm trying to build something for the specific needs of indy devs and new product development.

@tina8462 I could use something like this. Monitoring is necessary, yet I always find myself neglecting it for the first like 5 months building something. If this is as easy as you say, I'd probably use

@tina8462 I created and coded a app with All live streaming app where you can watch live battle rappers and music disk jockeys go head to head battling against each other as viewers watch and vote who the best.. also you can live stream concerts and events real time. This app will have radio features that connect you to all radio stations. This app will also allow to buy and sell tickets to all major events worldwide. And and another option you can post videos live and stream like tiktok. This app must have options for all the latest entertainment news. This app must have mapping locations where you can show your location to events. This allows options for music artists to buy and sell your music on a global platform also a marketplace to sell your urban clothing and products as well. Now I need someone to build it.. you down