MVP Advice Needed: Code/Nocode and which?, Web/mobile? etc. detailed needs inside :)

sadastronaut

Hi all!​

TL;DR / Intro:

I'm a teacher in a certain field looking to create a gamified study app for my method which will include Spaced Repetition algorithms I designed. I have VERY basic knowledge of HTML/CSS/JS and I'm slow. My partner is a graphic designer and video editor. We have a low budget and cannot hire a proper Dev ATM. I'm trying to decide on what's the best approach for building our MVP.

I'll try to give as much info as possible in a concise manner, If I missed anything important let me know. Nothing is set in stone for us about what I'm describing and we're flexible about almost every point of this description. We would appreciate any advice on these issues and any additional/general advice for our project.
  1. App Overview and Features:
    1. The app will have a few games with a few levels each, on each game level the user will get a certain question from our bank of content('decks of cards') and will need to answer. Based on my algorithm and whether or not the user got it right - it will present the question again at the most appropriate time for memory retention.
    2. Simple and beautiful UI(somewhat similar to Duolingo but not so advanced and full of features). Responsive, Animations, Fast Performance.
    3. Auth + Database (to keep users' progress across devices) (overkill? maybe can be done locally).
    4. Our unique SRS algorithms - so I need to be able to build/code my algorithms into the app. Nothing too complicated but it is specific.
    5. YouTube embedded videos with calls of specific times in the video.
    6. Microphone input will be nice but isn't a must.
    7. Fast and easy development (It's an MVP). Having said that, we can compromise somewhat on speed and ease of development for the sake of other important needs.
    8. Target Audience: Wide range but focuses on teen enthusiasts of the field to undergrad students in the field.
  2. Our abilities, capabilities and concerns:
    1. I would like to focus as much as possible on the concept, algorithm design and content. Coding is a lot of fun for me but I'm very far from proficient at it, preety much a noob. I don't mind finding my way through making a bit of custom code or coding the algorithms themselves (I work on the business logic anyway so "translating" it to code is not SUCH a big deal and is interesting) but I would like to avoid coding auth/database interactions or anything else for that matter so I can use my strengths and knowledge to make the service the best it can be.
    2. Graphic Design.
    3. Basic HTML/CSS/JS.
    4. Quality content and methods for our field.
    5. Low budget.
  3. Mobile App / Web App?
    1. For our final product we want a cross-platform app(flutter/react) but we're thinking of a web app for our MVP.
    2. Perhaps a WebApp is faster/easier to build?
    3. Perhaps a Web App is easier to change, edit and update?
    4. Perhaps a Web App is more accessible since you can simply get to it with a link?
  4. Code/LowCode/NoCode and which?
    1. I don't see how code can be our choice ATM but perhaps I'm wrong.
    2. There are SO MANY of these platforms to choose from, how to know which is the best fit?
    3. It should be best for either mobile or web (or both) depending on what we choose.
    4. Easy to incorporate and integrate auth, database and our custom algorithms.
    5. UI/UX: Good looks "out of the box" is good if possible, Responsive, Easy Animations creation, Fast Performance.
  5. Concerns(and if they are relvent at all?):
    1. Being locked-in with a certain platform. although this is just an MVP so... but in case it becomes a successful one - being locked in with a "greedy" or limited lowcode/database platform seems unfortunate.
    2. Scalability: again, this is just an MVP but perhaps it would be nice to be on a platform that I can scale on if it's successful even if it's just until we get a properly and fully coded app. not sure if I should worry about that either.
    3. Are there any platforms I should avoid for any reasons? bad performance, lock-in policies, garbage code...?
  6. Last Consideration: I'm wondering how much content I should put into the MVP. I'm planning on making at least 3 games otherwise our idea doesn't come through. But I'm wondering on how many levels to put in each game (some levels have different content/algorithms). Hard to tell if I should put more work into it and delay significantly the MVP release or just give people something basic and limited to try.
That's about it, any help is greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance!

Have a good one,

Cheers.

Back