My business got closed down and now everything is going downhill

jameskc

I was renting a small kiosk at a food truck park, the owner told me that I didn’t needed any permits other than comercial certificate because my kiosk was more like a “pop-up store”. Due to this being my first business I did just that, but as time went by the other food trucks stated that everyone needed their permits and that’s when we all found out that not everyone was able to get their permits out because the park permits only allowed 5 food trucks, we were 8 and the owner was actively looking for another food truck to add. So the permit department told us we needed to shut down operations or we were gonna get billed, that the owner needed to fix the permits of the park so we could get our papers and be able operate, something that he already said he won’t do, and even suggested for us to change out working hours to hours were the permit officers don’t work, so work only at night and illegally, to take the risk of being caught.

So 2 of us closed, that includes me. Now I’m out of a job, I’m doing DoorDash, the bills keep getting worse, I have no more capital. Everything is expensive, I’ve sent so many emails to rent out a kiosk or a food truck and no one ever gets back to me, they ignore my calls, my emails.

I feel like all the passion and love I had for my business has been taken away in a blink of an eye because I didn’t knew any better and because I trusted someone who didn’t care about me or my business.

I don’t wanna give up, I had so many good clients but at this point I feel like I’m at a dead end.

EDIT:

I had the permit to sell and manage food, but I couldn't get the permit to "operate" in that location because the permit of the park only allowed 5 business there for when me and the others tried to get their papers the system said something like "this place is full, these other business are not allowed to be here" So we couldn't get the papers on that location, unless the owner updates the park permit and put "there is space for 8 food trucks/business" but he didn't wanted to do it because it expensive for him. Also, me and another truck had to shut down because of it.

@jameskc were you renting , leasing or owning the truck?

Quite possible whoever was renting to you would still rent it to you in a different location.

@john025 I'm pretty confused too, but I've never done kiosks before so I'm not sure how that works

It does sound like OP got scammed though... or maybe I'm just not understanding the situation at all

@john025 I asked that as well in the permit office, and even if I’m not a good truck the kiosk has to be in his permit which is not. I would’ve thought that it would be there since it’s his but no.

@jameskc Brother you just need a new location.

You know you did good with your product and you know how to make it work. Take it as an obstacle that’s it. Don’t give so much power to the problem.

Focus on getting a new location. If you are a food truck business, people need you.

Also be proud of yourself. It takes balls to start and run a business.

@jameskc Time to get 3k. That’s the way out. Double down and get the money and pull yourself together before you run out of time or get injured. Let’s go bro. Get your ass in gear and find the money. Beg, borrow mow lawns, or whatever… but don’t you take this shit lying down and tell the world your tale of woe while you do it.

Every business goes through stuff like this. Make it break it, but don’t just bitch and decline.

Back