My friend and I made a graphic web app with customizable characters, please roast us so we can improve

noah007

https://pipul.net/

About Pipul

Pipul is a web-based graphic design platform. It allows you to create images using customizable characters and objects. It has hundreds of free assets to create gift cards, social media posts, and more.

Features:
  1. Customizable characters (changing character's appearance, poses, clothes, etc.)
  2. Customizable objects (laptops, birthday cakes etc.)
  3. Moving, scaling and rotating objects on the scene
  4. Exporting scene to .png image file
  5. Adding texts
  6. Multiple backgrounds
Stage: Early-stage, searching for feedback

@noah007 Quick scan, didn't do a deep dive but might later:
  1. Your banner and "Start Now" aren't loading properly on mobile. They're not there on initial load, just the man and woman - I had no clue what the page was. They appear when the page is tapped.
  2. Strongly suggest a "scroll down" item or fade in/our arrow downwards so that it's obvious it's a scrollable page
  3. Your font is inconsistent, and it looks like Times New Roman... please use something else, it looks like a high school paper (not trying to be mean, just honest).
  4. Add some type of portfolio section so that people can see the range of what you're offering, and suggested examples of what customers can use your graphics for (look up value proposition, think about it, explain it).
  5. Your designer isn't responding to me on mobile. When I select a background nothing happens. If it won't work on mobile, then I suggest putting up a sign that says to use desktop and ask for an email so that you can send them a link and a free consultation - people will get frustrated if it doesn't work and you will lose them immediately, you'll at least get a few more people by deferring them to a better user experience.
  6. Your designer isn't good imo. It'd be easier for me to use PPT. I strongly suggest that you offer free consultative or low-cost service options if you know how to use the designer effectively. Since I can't use it on my phone, I can't comment on how unique your assets are, but think of your customers - who is going to go out of their way to find a ~unique/creative graphic for something? Probably someone who's using it for a special event that they care about. They'll be willing to invest time (relative to someone grabbing a random picture from a Google search). This is a small set of people, which means that if you lose them you're sunk. Focus on capturing them, appeasing them and retaining them. Offer white-glove service, if you're serious about getting more than 10 people to use this.
  7. Your Twitter is suspended.
  8. Make. Video. Tutorials. So few people do this, and it's absurd. Products that depend on customers to use / design / decide are very rarely intuitive enough for casual / trial customers to figure them out. Make them bitesized: 3-5 minute how-to's. Better yet, record the making of the portfolio pieces and include a link to the video for each piece. If you can't make something that looks good from a 5 minute video, you need to revise your product / positioning. Create different levels - 5, 10, 15 etc. minute designs. Show the full range. This will tell casual people what they can make, and that people looking for something really special can pay for you to make them. Make a YouTube channel, add it to the bottom, keep it private until you have a 10 videos.
  9. Your designer and the showcase of what it can do (and how to do it) need to be in lock-step. Don't over-promise. Make it clear what the actual use case is (level / complexity / situation). Make it clear what it can do that other products don't do.
  10. Don't try to market it until you have these things nailed down, you'll waste all the people that would trial it.
  11. Would I use this? Maybe. It sounds a lot like Bitmoji, which I enjoy. However, Bitmoji works because you can save your character and then they apply that character to stickers and you don't have to do anything after designing your character. Consider if this is a road you want to go down - reusable / saved characters will be useful for people who are arts and crafts people and find satisfaction in sending custom things; they won't be that interesting to people who are sending one-time one-purpose things (weddings, graduations); birthdays might be a middle ground.

@noah007 pretty amazing concept. You can take this to so many places.

Your current design is terrible but I can see through it to the potential.

I saw the other feedback which suggested not marketing it until you have stuff nailed down. I only agree in the sense of not spending a ton of money to get a bunch of customers right now BUT you should ABSOLUTELY get some people using it and making real content so that you can learn and optimize from them. Go troll through the r/marketing sub and look for people who might want to use it. And help them get their thing out there. One happy customer makes more happy customers.