Need Advice: Form 83-b Filing for Delaware C-Corp

churchmoney

Hi everyone,

A few months ago, my co-founder and I began working on a startup idea. As we progressed, we decided to incorporate to apply to a few accelerators. At the time, my co-founder was still employed full-time, and due to his employer's rules, he would have to disclose if he owned a significant stake in any company. Therefore, we decided I would incorporate the Delaware C-Corp under my name alone and add him once he could join full-time.

We consulted Doola about our situation, and they assured us that adding a co-founder later in a C-Corp is straightforward. So, we proceeded to register the C-Corp under my name with Doola's Total Compliance Plan (costed decently, $2k), which promised to handle all compliance matters.

Recently, we stumbled upon a post on Reddit about the necessity of filing Form 83-b within 30 days of incorporation, which was new to us. Upon inquiry, Doola informed us that it's now too late to file this form. Additionally, my co-founder has since left his job and is ready to join full-time, but we haven't added him yet due to confusion regarding the 83-b filing.

Here's where I need your advice:
  1. Currently, based on our understanding, no stocks have been issued but only authorized in our corporation which is the default option in Doola and we haven't set up any vesting as well. If I now add my co-founder and we initiate vesting for both of us, can we file Form 83-b at that point? Would it still be valid, or is it definitely too late?
  2. If filing Form 83-b now isn't an option, what would be the best way to proceed? We are in the process of fundraising and need to resolve this issue promptly. Should we consult a startup lawyer? If so, any recommendations would be greatly appreciated, especially considering our poor experience with Doola.
Thanks in advance for your help!

P.S. Sorry if we seem a bit inexperienced in this area - it's our first time handling such matters, and despite opting for the best plan available through Doola, we still find ourselves in need of guidance.

@churchmoney Are you sure you aren't confusing the 30 day deadline after being issued restricted stock with the date of incorporation? You can still file an 83b election but you just have to pay tax on the current value of the stock. At or near incorporation, you are allowed to assume that the value of the stock is par value. But if you wait too long you just have to account for the value of the company now. You should probably check with an accountant or lawyer but you should be able to still file.

@eddieseven Yes, we don't want to confuse it. But after speaking with Doola and a couple of people, we definitely got very confused with all this. We have just authorised shares and haven't issued any yet (I haven't transferred any money to issue stock to myself). To clear all this confusion, just want to speak with an experienced lawyer now

Oh and Stripe Atlas is $500 (not familiar with Doola so can’t do a faithful 1:1) and it is very clear on documentation coverage, what you need to do, and when you need to do it for corp filing.

@churchmoney The 83(b) election is only relevant for the issuance of shares (so if you haven’t issued shares, there would be no way to make an election).

Happy to make a referral to a startup attorney if it’s helpful. Please feel free to DM me if you’re interested. I’d just need the LinkedIn profiles for you and your cofounder so that I can try to find the best fit.

@churchmoney Please talk to a lawyer! This stuff is easy to fix by a lawyer and will only cause confusion and unnecessary churn if you take Reddit advice. I've dealt with a related issue and the lawyer just handled and resolved it. Focus on building your business and let the lawyer do the legal crap.