Need Advice on Buying a Bike Shop

megz1985

I’m meeting with a business owner tomorrow to discuss buying his bike shop in a smaller town 45 minutes away from me. I have a background in marketing/IT and plan to explore opening an e-commerce channel for parts/accessories. I’m in my late 20’s and never owned a brick & mortar business w/ employees. What questions (asking so I don’t miss something) should I ask the owner about his shop? I’m an avid biker with industry knowledge but not a mechanic. They mainly sell Giant, Santa Cruz, Cannondale among others. Good local trails, strong community support, most bikes sold are under $1k or around there and I take it service is the lifeblood.

Thanks

@megz1985 Here’s a template that I use when looking for businesses to buy. Start with the items below. There will almost always be pushback as this is confidential information. Use an NDA so the owner is comfortable with sharing the with you. Good luck!
  • Last 3 years of P&Ls (both general and detailed)
  • Last 3 years business returns
  • Last 3 years statement of cash flows
  • Last 3 years balance sheet
  • Last 3 years general ledger
  • Last 3 years worth of bank statements
  • Last 3 years sales vs customer history
  • Last 3 years of payroll reports
  • Current lease agreement
  • Other fixed monthly expenses?
  • Key employee background
  • Employee turnover rate
  • Age and repair history of equipment if the company owns any
  • Any known CAPEX needed in the near future
  • Line items that can be added back such as owner draws or personal expenses (travel/meals/entertainment/etc.)
  • Any current tax liens?
  • Any current or pending lawsuits?

@xavier1777 Great list, to which I'd add tax returns for the three years you are analyzing. It would be a rare company to lie on their taxes by making things look better than they are. It's plenty easy to manipulate the other data on the list, but if it matches the tax return you've got solid data to base your offer on.

@bojan There’s a good mechanic there that I’ve been in contact with for the last couple of months that I would trust to manage the shop with me, if he’s interested. I would definitely be there everyday for the first year to learn the business inside and out. Good point though. The shop was a hobby turned business by a father and son. Father is retiring and son is moving on from it. The son said one of them is there all the time.

@megz1985 If he (or any others) are that critical ("key employees"), try to get a written commitment from them. "Hey, I really need your help to make this happen. Stick with me for at least a year and I'll give you a bonus/raise/promotion/homemade cookies now/later/other."

I'd hate to buy it and have 1 or more of them pull the rug out from under you.

@i4e Very good point. I need this guy for sure. I honestly wouldn’t mind letting him manage the store/paying him a bit more if I could run the e-commerce business on the side. I’ve asked him in the past if he’d be interested in moving to my town to start another shop and he said probably not. I think he has family there. His expertise is one reason I’m considering buying this shop instead of starting my own. He also helped build a lot of the local trails, does private lessons, and knows the community.

@megz1985 Also make sure he agrees to a non compete. And if he knows the business really well and you leave him alone he can easily steal from you and you will never know it.

@megz1985 If he is needed for the company for a fixed period of time or there is any doubt about cash flow then put some of the purchase price in escrow until he delivers.

@megz1985 Find out if they have an volume requirements with vendors and have they preordered for Christmas. In retail it's common to order way ahead. Make sure you don't have a giant order sitting out waiting to be billed.

@iazlover Good point. The owner mentioned briefly on the phone that they need to keep cash to carry them through the winter. Also as I customer I know covid has affected bike shops near me. Service is up but parts and bikes are hard to source right now. Might be biting off too much jumping in during covid but the biking industry has seen a recent boom and I’ve been thinking about doing my own thing for a while now. Built a Shopify store that is ready for products and dabbled in video production for a while to attempt a YouTube channel to help win traffic. Could be a mistake but I know I won’t be happy until I try something on my own.

@megz1985 What do you think happens in a year after everyone goes back to normal? Millions stick with a new hastily adopted lifetime hobby, or tons of barely used bikes flood the market?

Edit: Genuinely asking, not trying to be negative.

@morganlee Eh, I’ve thought about that, too. I think working from home will be more widespread going forward and people will feel sedentary without some form of activity. Maybe cars will be less necessary, especially in larger metro areas where commuting is common. My niche is mid to high end mountain biking and that industry looks good for parts/accessories as more trails are built every year and ski resorts have pretty much all converted to downhill mtb parks in the summer. The seasonality is a bummer but there are some new cool brands in the cold space (45North for example) that might help that. Winter e-fat bikes (if that’s possible with battery tech) may become a thing. I’ve watched other companies do what I want to do and grow fast.

@megz1985 First off, don’t let the current owner jack up the price with the past few month’s numbers! Coronavirus has really surged bike sales, but you need to care about the next few years, not the next few months. Plus if the shop is out of inventory because of supply issues you can’t go replicate those same sales anyway.

That said, one important point I haven’t seen mentioned yet is that when buying or starting a business, one of the most important skill sets isn’t necessarily the industry specific knowledge, but rather the knowledge of how to own and run a business.

This is to say, business owners across industries have more in common with each other than non-owners within the same industry. Generally speaking. There is a huge range of skills and a kind of attitude that comes with the job. A good sense of numbers is vital. You’ll learn to understand cash flow whether you want to or not, for instance. Basic bookkeeping is an essential thing to know, even if you don’t do it, so you can monitor it at the very least.

Marketing decisions, expansion plans, branding, HR. All areas you can dip your toes into and might need to go deeper if you’re too small to afford outsourcing.

Your marketing and IT background helps a lot, I believe. I would explore that e commerce channel hard. You’re in an interesting retail segment that has seen major new demand, but for all we know that demand now could result in a slowdown in a year.

Ultimately you need to evolve to think like a business owner to be a good one. Just like lawyers go to law school, or doctors go to med school, to learn how to think like their fellow professionals as much as learn material. You don’t have the luxury of a formal education, though, so self-educate. Cash flow, as mentioned before. Or the idea that you’re either growing or dying. These are the kinds of things you’ll learn if you want to succeed, and the fact that you’re already contemplating your next step is great because every business owner should always have the next step forward in mind.

@victory4me Great comment. Appreciate the advice!

I know it’s not the same thing as having actually been an owner but I do have some business education - I majored in management information systems and minored in entrepreneurship. About half my classes were general business classes (accounting, management, etc) and the other half computer science/MIS.

I also worked for (was paid) my university’s center for innovation & entrepreneurship as a student business consultant for local small businesses during my junior and senior years of college.

I’ve been in the corporate world since I graduated 4 years ago making about $90k/year, 5 weeks paid vacation - working from home full time for the last 2 years. Our industry (hospitality) was hit hard by covid and I’ve been furloughed since early April, set to return on October. I somehow dodged a 2,000 corporate employee firing wave due to covid. This job is great with great benefits but the future looks uncertain and I’ve always wanted to start my own thing.

Gf is finishing pharmacy school in a year so I’ll have more opportunity to start a business once she comes onboard financially and we get married. Not quitting the corporate gig just yet, but looking for other opportunities and after observing the bike industry, talking to shops closer to me, and doing a ton of research, I think I can take a shop further.

None of these shops are seriously doing e-commerce, possibly due to their distributor agreements or it just not being in their wheelhouse. Will be a learning experience either way for sure.

Edit: formatting

Back