New social-impact crowdfunding platform

kentonio

I just launched a crowdfunding platform for YouTubers to raise money for not-for-profits.

The platform is called First Day (www.myfirstday.org). The idea is to get YouTube Influencers to back initiatives they care about through crowdfunding and provide people with essential things they've never had before. i.e. First day of school/First day of electricity/First day of clean water. The pilot project will allow YouTubers to make crowdfunding campaigns to raise money to build a school in Ethiopia. The crowdfunding videos will be hosted on the YouTube Influencer's channel & also be embedded on a campaign page @ www.myfirstday.org. If any YouTuber can raise $10,000 they will be invited to go on a trip to Ethiopia for the inauguration of the funded school. We are partnered with a registered charity called Imagine1Day (imagine1day.org) that has already built 42 schools in Ethiopia.

Additional info:
- Here is a mock-campaign: https://www.myfirstday.org/Vikkstar123
- 100% of the money raised goes directly to the building of the school. The charity (Imagine1Day) was endowed $10M in 2008 so no administrative or overhead costs are absorbed by donations.
- We're taking 0 cut an any money raised for the pilot project Imagine1Day. We just want a proof of concept. The only part of the donation that doesn't go to to the charity is the ~3% fee Stripe charges per credit-card transaction. Companies like Indiegogo & Kickstarter take a 5% cut on top of transaction fees.
- We are self funded.
- Yes, it takes a lot more than $10,000 to build a school. This contribution goes towards the ~150K it costs to build the school, train teachers, and coach each community.
- Eventually this may turn into a for-profit for-impact business where we would charge charities an upfront fee to use the platform. Yes, another monetization option is to take a % from every donation made.

My first roast, have fun!!!