Objection-Handling Cheat Sheet: The 15 top objections your prospects will give you, and how to handle them!

nigel74

*Objection-Handling Cheat Sheet\*

Here are the 15 top objections your prospects will give you, and how to handle them!

Here’s a fact: Your prospects object. That’s just how it is. And when you think about it, it makes sense.

Because if the buyer didn't have reservations about your solution's price, value, relevance to their situation, or their purchasing ability, they would have already bought it.

Objections are a sure thing for almost every sale. And if you want great results, it’s your job to be ready for them and know how to deal with them.

So without further ado, here are the 15 most common objections your prospects may throw at you:

1. “It’s too expensive.”

Price objections are the most common type of objection, and are even voiced by prospects who have every intention of buying. And 99% of the time, those objections don’t mean they don’t actually have the money. They just don’t see enough value in giving you the money you’re asking for the solution you’re offering.

But if the value scale were to shift, and they started valuing their money LESS than your solution, then you’re in business.

Beware — when dealing with this objection, do NOT focus on the price. The moment you start focusing on price as a selling point, you reduce yourself to a transactional middleman. Instead, circle back to the product's value, the benefits of solving their problem, and the pain of NOT solving it.

2. “I don’t have money.”

Again, 99% of the time when a prospect says this, it’s not that they don’t actually have the money. Most of the time they just value it more than your offer, and the way to fix this is by increasing the perceived value of your solution, increasing the perceived pain of their problems, and

It IS possible that they’re not lying about this and they really don’t have the money (or they have it but can’t spend it). If that’s the case, what you need to do is ask questions and determine if they’re telling the truth.

Gauge if they’re interested in your solution and perceive their problem as significant enough to warrant action.

If they DON’T – they’re likely lying.

If they DO – try to figure out a solution – either a payment plan or something else that would allow them to start in their situation. Think outside the box and see how you can help your prospect get to a place where your offering would fit into their business.

3. “I don’t want to get stuck in a contract.”

A prospect with a genuine need and interest who balks at time-based contract terms is generally hesitant for cash flow reasons or because of negative experience. Luckily for you, there are workarounds — find out if you can offer month-by-month or quarter-by-quarter payment instead of asking for a year or more commitment up front.

If you can’t, then just dig deeper and find out exactly why your prospect doesn’t want to get stuck in a contract, and deal with their concern. Once you deal with it, the objection will disappear.

4. “We’re already working with [someone else].”

A prospect who's working with a competitor is a blessing in disguise. They've already recognized a need, realized their problem, and identified a solution. So much of the education you'd otherwise be responsible for has already been done for you.

So in this case, you can spend your time doing the one thing you'd have to hold off on with a prospect who hasn't recognized their pain yet — talk about your product.

Just because a prospect is working with a competitor doesn't mean they're happy with them. Probe into the relationship and the outcomes they’re getting: Why did they choose this service? What's working well? What's not? Pay special attention to complaints that could be solved with your product.

Also, even if they’re happy with your competitor, you COULD still make a sale if your product can be used as an add-on to what they’re using. If they can benefit from both your product and your competitors together (and there’s enough value in it for them), you should communicate that to them and show them why it would be a good idea.

5. “I can get a cheaper version of your product/service somewhere else.”

This objection is a lot easier to deal with than you may think.

First off, you need to find out exactly what you're dealing with. Are you in a competitive situation, and the prospect is playing you against a competitor to drive up discounts? Or is your prospect under the impression that a similar, cheaper product can do everything they need, or that it can do the same things your solution does?

If it's the former, get some information and then focus on the benefits of your solution over the cheaper one. Emphasize on the features that make your product superior, and the problems that may arise from using the cheaper solution.

Don’t give them a discount too quickly – this is a trap. But if they’re unrelenting and they insist on getting a discount, negotiate the price and try to close them on something extra (like the promise of giving you a review after they’re happy with your service).

In the second scenario, take advantage of the comparison. What are the things that would provide your prospect the most value? Why is your solution so much better than the cheaper one? Play them up and emphasize overall worth, value and benefits, not cost.

6. “There’s too much going on right now.”

If your prospect feels overwhelmed or “too busy” to deal with the problem you’re looking to solve, it’s likely that they’re just not placing enough importance on the problem you’re looking to solve for them.

Ask them to define their priorities for you. If they can't (or don’t want to), it's likely a brush-off and you should press them on precisely why they don't want to engage with you (find the real reason or concern that made them say that).

If they can provide concrete answers and their case is solid (if they really SHOULD focus on the other things and not on this), don't sweat it. Set a meeting time for a follow up and send over helpful resources in the meantime to stay top of mind and on your prospect's radar.

7. “I’ve never heard of you or your company.”

Treat this objection as a request for extra information. It doesn’t mean they won’t buy from you. It just means they need to know more about you so they can trust you enough to buy from you.

Don't give an elevator pitch. Just provide a very quick summary of your value proposition, or some impressive facts or stories about customers you’ve worked with (best if they’re similar to your prospect).

For example: "We're a company that sells ad space on behalf of publishers like yourself. I'd love to speak with you about your revenue model and see if we can help."

8. “X problem isn’t important right now.”

Sometimes, a simple "Oh?" will be enough for your prospect to start talking. Listen closely for the real reasons the problem has a low priority in their eyes. Keep in mind that excuses can be a sign that your prospect understands they have a problem and are trying to rationalize their inaction.

Capitalize on this, get them to realize the importance of taking action and solving their problem, and instill a sense of urgency.

9. “I don’t see what your product could do for me.”

This is another request for information packaged as an objection. Reconfirm the goals, challenges or pain points you've discussed, and explain how your product can effectively solve their specific problems.

10. “I don’t understand your product.”

This usually means you’re overcomplicating the explanation of your solution. You need to Keep It Stupidly Simple and make sure you’re explaining it in a way that even a kid would understsand.

If your prospect literally can't wrap their head around your product, that's a bad sign. If your product is particularly complicated or specialized, it may be time to disqualify your prospect (so they don’t just give up and ask for a refund a few months after buying).

Don't give up immediately though. Ask your prospect what aspects of your product they're unclear on. Then, try explaining it in a different way. Alternatively, bring in someone else from your team to re-explain it and answer your prospect’s questions. Sometimes just hearing it from someone else is enough.

11. “Your solution is too complicated.”

Find out if your prospect is confused about specific features or if the product is indeed over their head. If it's the latter, you might have to disqualify. But if it's the former, remind your prospect about how you will support them throughout the journey.

For example, tell them that they'll have help from your customer service team and that you’ll support them every step of the way when it comes to implementation (if that’s true).

And if you won’t be doing that – tell them whatever IS true in your case. For example, if you have a community where they can find support, tell them about that.

Whatever the case, make them feel supported and tell them how you’ll help them effectively and easily execute and implement your solution.

12. “You don’t understand my business.”

If your prospect feels like you don’t understand them, their situation or their business, that means you’ve made a mistake somewhere along the sales process. If that’s the case, don’t worry – it’s fixable. Just focus on figuring out why they’re thinking like that, and show them why they’re wrong.

If you sell to a specific industry and have some experience doing so, chances are you DO know a bit about your prospect's business. Let them know that you have experience working with similar companies, and have solved similar problems in the past. But don’t just tell – DEMONSTRATE!

And if you simply made an incorrect assumption about your prospect's company or industry, don't be afraid to own up to it. Your prospects will appreciate your candor. Say, "Sorry — I assumed X was true, but it looks like that doesn't apply to your business. Can you tell me a little more about X?"

13. “We’re happy the way things are.”

Maybe everything really is going swimmingly (however unlikely that is).

But don’t believe this without checking. It’s extremely likely that your prospect is having some sort of challenge (after all, who isn't?). Do some light digging to determine if they're facing any problems you can solve, then move forward or disqualify based on their answers.

14. “I want to think about it.”

When your prospect tells you “I want to think about it”, they don’t actually mean they’ll get off the phone and go into a ‘thinker position’ for 2 hours actively thinking about your offer. 99 times out of 100, they won’t put too much thought into it after the call. And that’s because they usually say this to brush you off and avoid making a decision.

So whenever you hear “I want to think about it”, you need to understand there’s something else hiding behind that objection. There’s a reason why they don’t want to move forward (or don’t want to make a decision at that moment) – and you need to find that reason and overcome whatever’s concerning them.

15. “Your solution sounds great, but I’m too swamped right now to handle [implementation, execution].”

Prospects are often put off by the effort required to switch products, even if the ROI is substantial. Most people just don’t like doing new things, going into the unknown, and putting in a lot of effort (unlike us – we thrive on that, right?).

To overcome this objection, you need to empathize with them, prove that you're trustworthy, and ensure they actually CAN handle the implementation (they just FEEL like they can’t).

You can say something like, "I understand. It typically takes our customers [X days/weeks] to get fully up and running with [your product]."

OR here’s one that may work even better, “I hear what you’re saying. Many of our prospects felt like that when we were discussing this. But after we started working together, what they found was that, with our help, implementation was a breeze compared to what they expected. So let me ask you, if you knew that we’d be there every step of the way and help you with the implementation, how much time could you allocate for this?”

If they’re still hesitant, next you should combat their reluctance to change by digging into the costs or pains of their current situation, and building on the cost of inaction.

You might ask something like, "How many minutes do you spend every day [on X task]?"

Then calculate what they’re currently losing as a results of this, and what they stand to gain — in time, efficiency, money, or all of the above.

This is a bit of a longer post, I hope you found a lot of value in it.

Knowing how to deal with objections is one of the most important things for high-level selling. Apply the ideas in this post and, hopefully, you’ll see quite a jump in your conversion rate.

𝕻.𝕾. Let’s have a discussion! Leave questions, challenges or ideas below and let’s make this thread more exciting.

𝕻.𝕻.𝕾. If you have any sales-related challenges that are a pain, it would be awesome if you share them in the comments. If I can solve a problem for you in my next post, that would be great.

I’ll be here to answer all the questions related to this topic – ‘coz that’s my ‘thing’. Let’s go! 👇

Stay awesome, Champions! 🏆

@nigel74 Fair warning to those reading this:
As a consumer points 1 and 2 are my polite and easy way of saying I'm not interested. Trying to push me further when I've stated as such will just piss me off and likely lead me to not only not use you but leave a bad review for pushy sales tactics.

Not saying this will always happen but definitely get a feel for the person you're talking to first.

Back