People who searched for keyword "X" also searched for keywords "Q,Y, & Z". Does this product/service exist?

@hancha I will check r/SEO. I'm no SEO noob here though. Since no one has furnished a link to a tool that does exactly what I describe, I doubt it exists.

@nirajrana /r/SEO

[sup]This[/sup] [sup]bot[/sup] [sup]is[/sup] [sup]a[/sup] [sup]fill[/sup] [sup]in[/sup] [sup]bot[/sup] [sup]for[/sup] [sup]/@debslabs[/sup] [sup]until[/sup] [sup]it[/sup] [sup]gets[/sup] [sup]back[/sup] [sup]up[/sup] [sup]and[/sup] [sup]running.[/sup] [sup]If[/sup] [sup]this[/sup] [sup]bot[/sup] [sup]causes[/sup] [sup]any[/sup] [sup]problems,[/sup] [sup]contact[/sup] [sup]/@schokoladetante.[/sup]

@nirajrana That would indeed be valuable information. So as this is the entrepreneur subreddit lets talk about how you could aquire such data:

1) You're Google (+other search engines)

2) You use profiling cookies

3) You convince millions of websites to share their visitor ip + keyword landing information.

At first glance it seems to me that if you would like to provide such a service professionally you're going to have an issue with privacy concerns or valuable business intel no sane company will share. Not to mention at any time Google can come in to sweep you of your feet with a way more accurate same service.

@rocknrollah6ur1 It could actually be done by a 3rd party, but yes, users would need to be willing to hand over their search data. One way a 3rd party could get this data, for Google Searches for example, would be to be granted access to a Google user's search history www.google.com/searchhistory‎

Nielsen has made billions by getting a panel of 100,000+ people in the US to give them access to their receipts of what they buy at the grocery store.

I am suggesting similar but for search data.

@nirajrana There are a few tools like this that exist, but they are very poorly implemented. If done correctly, something like that would be very useful, and very profitable.

@chantalxo He might sound harsh but he's right.

Lets say I run a website with a huge assortment of products. A visitor used Google keywords "rabbit toy" to come to my website. With just those keywords I'm not to sure what content to serve him, I have hundreds if not thousands of rabbit related products available.

If however I know that just 5 minutes before he Googled "gift ideas for 6 year olds" or "gift ideas for lovers" I would be way better able to refine the content to products he's likely more interested in and therefore I will have a better chance of making a conversion.

None of the tools suggested in this thread would help me achieve this. They only give suggestions of what other people have searched for related to rabbit toys.

@nirajrana Your post is very terse. Probably to prevent people from copying all the ideas, which is fine.

If you are talking about something like collaborative filtering (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collaborative_filtering), then the problem lies in acquiring user data. Collab filtering techniques are employed in almost all big companies under different techniques.

People exhibit different behavior at different websites. On Google, people might search for "Star Trek" and then "Patrick Stewart", but on Amazon, I will search for "Foundation" and then "Dune". To learn the relationships between objects (in this case, words), you need a specific domain. Do you have one?

PS: 'OP' means Original Poster. Which in this case, is you, not the post itself. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=op

@jessileigh I want someone to copy the idea. I don't have the technical capacity nor the desire to fight the likely political battles with Google, etc to get this done.

My use of the tool would be like this:

The keyword "helpdesk software" is very boring to write articles about and is a very competitive keyword to rank for. What other keywords (top 10 or so) do people who search for "helpdesk software" search for?

I would then write articles about those keywords if they have less competition and high enough traffic.

@nirajrana You can write articles on any topic. But it won't become popular until it makes Google's algorithms happy. One way is to linked from popular websites (techcrunch, arstechnica, reddit or university webpages -- dot edu domains have high page rank, and therefore so do anything they point to).

My advice would be to write on any topic you really like to write about, and then market it by advertising it on twitter, facebook, google+ or specific forums (subreddits/hacker news). See where your readers are coming from, what their comments are like and adapt your articles to help them better.

Back