Question about a mistake in a custom order

nitsud

I have a custom order, but the colors were accidentally reversed somehow when they were printed. The client wanted x to be z color, and y to be g color. However it was accidentally printed as x with g color, and y with z color.

I have already messaged the client, and I was also planning to ask them if this version would be ok if I gave them a discount (it would be relatively expensive for me to redo it, but if they don't accept this version I will).

Any tips on how to go about asking the customer this? Or alternative suggestions?

@nitsud Your username seems to fit you. Eat the loss and remake this item.

If the customer went out of their way to request certain colors, it is because they liked that aesthetic. Even offering them a messed up product will tarnish your reputation.

@puma150 I try to be very conscious to be environmentally friendly, and the customer seems to be quite price conscious. Remaking them would take a fair bit of time too, so the customer would not get it for a while. Why would giving them the option of using the items already made for a discounted price (while still giving them the option of having the other ones for no additional cost) be wrong?

@nitsud Just fix it and give them what they asked for and was agreed upon.
Eat the loss. Even if they agree to the discount, they will always identify your bussiness as sub par. They may want discounts for future work, and will probsbly not refer other customers to you.

In the competative world of small bussiness reputation and providing the best, delivered in the best fashion is everything.

@tramlaw Even for customers who seem quite price conscious?

I was also wondering, if I just remade them, would you recommend giving the first bunch to them for free, or at a discounted price? I would hate to seem them just go to waste, but I also don't want to devalue my product.

@nitsud Just fix it. I still remember the first time this happened to me and the response from the vendor was "well, can you use it anyway if you just..."

If the owner hadn't jumped in and called us back to assure us that the problem would be fixed ASAP, we would forever have had a bad association with those guys, no matter how low their prices were.

Tell your customer you'll fix their problem ASAP and they can keep the one that was wrong. Maybe they can still use it or something, but own your mistake and fix it.

@bishopoflyons I wouldn't say "you can just use it anyway if you just...", I was thinking about giving them the option.

Like I was planning to tell them I can definitely still make the original design if they want, but that they also have the option of using the design already made for x amount off.

@nitsud The perception of your business’s reliability is more important than that product. It didn’t go to waste, it created a learning moment for you to up your game.

@nitsud There is always someone you can do it cheaper. The trick is to keep the pool of those who can do it better for your price small.

Don’t give the customer the rejects. scavenge for eeusable pieces or sell on used market if it is sellable.

@tramlaw The items could not be reused/ sold, and it would not be salvageable. It would be big waste environmentally. It would also take a while to remake them, so the customer would likely have to wait 3+ weeks. Why would giving them the option of using the items already made for a discounted price (while still giving them the option of having the other ones for no additional cost) be wrong?

@tramlaw I'll think about it for a bit. If I decide to give them the option I'll make it clear I can definitely remake them for no additional cost if they choose.

Back