QuickBooks Online Basics Guide

limo

For most new business owners, the bookkeeping is a challenge. If you're going to be doing your books yourself, here's a quick guide to the basics:

SETUP:
  1. Get a Subscription to QuickBooks Online (QB)
  2. Update the Chart of Accounts
  3. Connect Bank & Credit Cards to QB
  4. Turn on QuickBooks Payments
  5. Create Products & Services
SALES:
  1. Create & Send an Estimate
  2. Convert the Estimate into an Invoice & Send
  3. Accept the Payment
> Paid by QuickBooks: Just match the deposit in the Banking area of QuickBooks (Bank feeds).

> Paid by Credit Card/ACH:
  1. Go to the invoice in QuickBooks and process the payment. It can be keyed in or done using a card reader.
  2. Match Deposit in Bank Feeds
> Paid by Cash/Check:
  1. Receive Payment
  2. Record Bank Deposit
  3. Match Deposit in Bank Feeds
RECEIPTS (expenses you've already paid for):
  1. Take a Picture Using the QB App
  2. Create an Expense
  3. Match the Expense in Bank Feeds
BILLS (expenses you need to pay in the future):
  1. Take a Picture Using the QB App
  2. Create a Bill
  3. Pay the Bill
  4. Match the Payment in Bank Feeds
PAYROLL:

I suggest using Gusto for payroll. Connect it with QuickBooks and you will only need to match the payments in the Bank Feeds.

MONTH-END CHECKLIST:
  1. Reconcile Bank, Credit Card and Loan Account
  2. Review A/R & Send Statements
  3. Review P&L and Balance Sheet
PM me if you have any questions about any of the steps or bookkeeping in general. I'm working on building out a full website that will breakdown all of these process step by step. It's too long for a reddit post, so if you want to be notified when the site is ready I can add you to the list.

@prosini Appreciate it! I'm hoping to have it up and running by September. What industry are you in? I'm hoping to tailor it to the nuances on each industry.

@prosini Love it. Let me know if you have any problems implementing this. Once you get it going, it's not too hard to keep up with, but the setup can be a bit challenging.

Yeah, once you get your books caught up try to get in the habit of keeping it up to date. If you run into any issues, just hit me up and I’ll be able to point you in the right direction.