Reverse-Engineering SaaS making Millions from Acquire.com

tourist49

Best way to succeed in startups is copying already successful startups. You don't need to be a genius to find an original idea. After all, everything is a remix.

But where do you find these successful startups making millions? Well, its quite simple.

100s of Indiehackers have been tooting their own revenue on Twitter with the #buildinpublic hashtag. You can find them through it but its a tedious process. We can make it much simpler.

Enter Acquire.com, previously known as MicroAcquire.

Acquire is a marketplace for Startup Founders to sell their profit-generating Startups. These are usually small ones that are made by a team of 1-10 people. Since they are small, they are easy to copy.

Acquire shows you everything from Revenue to Profit to Competitors to the Cost it takes to run. What they don't tell you is the exact startup domain.

But if you are smart enough, you can find the exact domain through your OSINT and SOCMINT Skills.

Just sign up at Acquire. Click on your Avatar on top right and click Explore Marketplace.

You can find extremely good ideas on Acquire but I'll list a few that caught my eye:

1. Twitter outreach tool to find, reach and nurture prospects as well as grow your audience​

Link: https://app.acquire.com/startup/zq3DbEFLHnZscyLRbTlxE1BosXv2/0wfJfThkimzDeVmJuieS?source=marketplace

This product is a Cold DM tool that has $185 mrr.

The total profit is $1k and the asking price is $30k.

If you scroll down a bit, you'll find the founding date, the team size, the tech stack, the business model, the competitors, and the growth opportunities.

The best part is when you scroll down a little further. You can find the exact Acquisition channels as it connects with Google Analytics.

This is a good idea to build because let's be honest, every business needs leads.

And what better way to get leads than to automate it with a Twitter outreach tool.

2. AI-Powered Roleplay Site running custom LLM model based off Meta's Llama​

Link: https://app.acquire.com/startup/fMWCklAW4PPxiJ4xxpGKzu2Prct2/gvkmQYR8o3GFhG9pbYkS?source=marketplace

Notice on the right there are 15 buyers interested. This shows demand. Investors are mostly interested in the fastest-growing startups.

AI-Powered Roleplay is a huge market. AI Girlfriends are a massive Billion Dollar Business and with the recent release of Llama 3, there will be more alternatives like this.

This product is a 1-person product launched last year in June 2023. It has $5k in profit and $520 mrr but massive potential. If you scroll a bit, we get a Chartmogul graph of ARR, MRR, Customers, and Churn rate.

3. AI Photography Studio​

Link: https://app.acquire.com/startup/daNCPe3tsEOyluwxQ5PybYIRVA53/KI3d9vSNWsE499iQjQqW?source=marketplace

AI Photography Studios are all the rage launched during the 2nd wave (text-to-image) of AI.

This one made $2.1m profit and $76k MRR. It had a TikTok go viral so you can assume they are acquiring customers to TikTok. Shouldn't be too hard to find, eh?

They have said the competitors are Aragon and Headshot so you can cut those of your list now. There are only so many alternatives. You can nail this startup down even further. The metrics are 100,000+ customers. I'm sure they are boasting it on their landing pages. You can easily find this one.

4. A lead generation platform for businesses to generate and build email lists. 100% Organic Traffic.​

Link: https://app.acquire.com/startup/nEOrnThIWNgtBK07TTdQ4Wbn3f73/eB78ZuQwKlVXFaszdnVJ?source=marketplace

This one has 43 serious buyers. The description is extremely enticing. Hands-off and automated with traffic from Google? Of course, who doesn't like that.

4.7 rating on Trustpilot with 380 reviews. And the competitor is Uplead.

Metrics are incredible. ~$50k mrr ($578k / 12 months) with 100-1000 customers. The traffic is consistent.

Try copying the description we found above and paste it into Google:

An all-in-one platform designed for businesses aiming to generate leads by extracting data from various social media channels and quickly building email lists, with an amazing Trustpilot rating of 4.7 based on over 380 reviews from satisfied customers.

And scroll down a bit to see Outscraper and LeadSwift recommended. Open them both up in the New Tab.

Remember the listing had Tech Stack? Yep, we'll use that to nail it down further.

Install Wappalyzer on your platform of choice. I use Chrome so I installed the Chrome Extension.

Reload the websites (Outscraper and LeadSwift) so the extension loads. Now, you'll see only Outscraper is using WordPress and jQuery while LeadSwift only uses jQuery.

But remember, they might be using React for their dashboard which you can only find after login. But I've found an important datapoint. Outscraper was founded earlier than 2022. You can check the Oldest Tab on their YouTube channel.

Therefore, it might be Leadswift.

A few tips:
  1. Find their founding date and compare.
  2. Find Trustpilot ratings and sort by reviews. Don't forget to search for "leads"
  3. Stalk the founders on Linkedin to find their company starting date. You can also do that through YouTube Oldest Search.
  4. Reverse-engineer their SEO strategy
  5. Check their location on the website. The location in the listing is United States (Florida)
If you just want to build a startup in this niche, then the approximation is more than enough to get an idea of what to build.

However, every listing gives enough info to find them. Some numbers might be misinterpreted to misdirect you. This is basically how you find successful startup ideas. Now you can build them and start marketing them. If you build it and nobody buys it, then you know your marketing sucks. Once you know that, you can improve your marketing skills by reverse-engineering your competitors.

What do you use to reverse-engineer companies? Semrush, SimilarWeb, SensorTower, Chrome Extensions, or anything else?

PS: If you'd like to read the full post with images, you can do so here.

PPS: Bdw, you can also see another post on reverse-engineering business model here. And I also write a daily Growth Hacking newsletter that shares Marketing/Growth Hacks.

@lo1337 They are selling before the value goes down. Its smart for the founders, bad for the buyers but yeah Open AI probably won't kill those wrappers yet.

I saw a post by that Excel bot guy who said he thought Open AI would kill his startup but actually the opposite happened.

@tourist49 Haha I have been doing this a lot. Flippa. Acquire. Reddit. Find some apps that don't fill a niche, find some comments and complaints of customers online what is missing, rebuild a new version and market it that way.

Not going to generate $100k MRR but is a fun way to get ideas and build something fun.

@micmic0929 Yepp 100%

Someone found out a way to make $100k mrr biz by trying to use Etsy. Have u send this video yet? Its easiy one of the best podcast I've seen recently.

Also, check out Read Reviews which does what u said for app store comments. Bet u can build this for Flippa, Acquire, Chrome extensions, etc...

AI makes it easy to find pain points.

@tonyluc2021 Depends on the backend requirements but I usually stick with what I know and not chase the latest technology. Javascript/React/Supabase is a quick stack to build and iterate.

Few portal/content ones has been fine in Wordpress but for the most part, it is simple javascript apps.

@sbg101
  1. How fast is it growing?
  2. How much effort it would take?
  3. And how much is the distribution easy? For example, if its an iOS app, then I don't worry about distribution. I just focus on ASO & Apple takes care of distribution.

@fullarmor There are Chrome Extensions, App Store Apps from 10 years ago that profit forever.

I guess you haven't seen the Cody Schneider podcast on Startup Ideas Show. He covers a Chrome Extension called Email Extractor that's making $10k-$50k per month (i forgot the number) but its one & done.

There's countless apps that are one & done. Just need good domain & influencers market for you.

Remember, these people never speak a word on that because it has high chances of getting copied. There's someone who did with his Chrome Extension on Poshmark making $35k/month & he came down to $20k/month. And he regrets being open about numbers.

So yeah, there are things that profit forever without maintenance.