Roast my cooking app: Cookoff

We're a team of students from London. We're developing our app Cookoff to get (young) people cooking more by introducing some competition among friends! More info and signup is on our website.

How does it work?
1. Select an ingredient
2. Select friends to challenge
3. Cook any meal with the chosen ingredient
4. Share your meal with the other participants

Why? Because people who aren't motivated to cook eat unhealthy takeaways or ready meals too often (see this report for example).

What do we need? Feedback! We're not doing this for profit and the app is not yet complete. We would really appreciate hearing your thoughts! Even better... If you have the time please fill in this 4-question form (takes 1 minute and no typing!) to help us develop the app.

TLDR: Challenge your friends to cook using ingredients they've never tried. Check it out!

@32983 I love the idea but I question its stickiness. I wonder how often users will go back to this app after the first time or two

@dmhogg Yes, we've had some thought about this. Do you think something like an XP bar + streaks system would work? Or do you think something like unlocking cosmetics for your avatar by playing more would also keep people using the app?

@32983 Yeah, the user journey, gamification, and rapid growth is going to be key to your success, but it's all stacked against you.

I had a similar idea a few years ago, but not with an app (not online at all funnily enough). If you look at your market. The ones that already cook don't need more motivation, the ones that don't already cook can't be stuffed, and I'm going to guess that neither want to spend time gloating about how much time they spent inside cooking vs their friends.

Sorry man, I think it's a dud.

@feelingunloved Thanks for your feedback.

Yes, finding the exact target audience has been a bit of a struggle for us. We realized, like you said, that people who already cook a lot won't use this as its too "simple", and people who don't want to cook won't suddenly start cooking.

But we think there is an in between to these groups: People who like the idea of cooking, and do so occasionally, but often come home and then can't be bothered because it's easier just to order food. We think this type of person can be motivated to cook more because they already wan't to, but just tend to put it off in the moment. Having an app that says "no, you should cook now" might get them to cook (even if just once a week - better than nothing!)

But finding the exact balance will be hard going forward.

@32983 Okay you've thought it through. Good start.

Here's where you're gonna run into trouble:

Having an app that says "no, you should cook now" might get them to cook (even if just once a week - better than nothing!)

There's a lot of psychology at play here. If they get home tired and can't be bothered, then a message "you should cook now" is already too late.

You're building an app that's not actually about cooking at all. It's about changing habits and social engineering. That's the flaw in your approach.

If you can solve that issue, then you've hit gold, because it doesn't matter whethwr it's cooking, cleaning, driving, studying, you're overcoming procrastination and changing habits.

Back