Roast my startup idea

laguna_greg

My idea is a credit card that combines traditional payment functionalities with a premium bond-style incentive system. Users can make everyday purchases with this card, akin to using an American Express card, but with an added twist: for every pound spent, they receive an entry into a daily prize draw. My aim is to make daily spending more exciting by offering the chance to win monetary rewards, appealing to individuals who appreciate the utility of credit cards and the thrill of lotteries. With this card, I hope it steers people away from scratch cards and lotteries and just use this as their gambling “thrill” instead of wasting money.

Numbers:
For every £1 spent on the card, you’d be entered into a draw to win 20% of all that days transaction fees.

We would charge merchants a flat 5p rate for each transaction and then 3%. If we did £5 million in transaction value across 1 million transactions then we would take £170k in revenue for that day (don’t charge the 3% on first £1) With this 170k, we would give 20% to that daily prize pool, giving someone the opportunity of winning £34k.

If you spent £20 on that day, you’d be entered into the draw 20 times, giving you a 1/50,000 chance of winning which is a £0.133p return on your spend, slightly lower than the usual 1p per £1 given by amexx but the opportunity to win big is hopefully enough to encourage customers.

Market:
The market for credit cards is substantial and competitive, with key players including established financial institutions and fintech startups. The global credit card market is characterized by its sheer size, with billions of transactions processed daily.

The Uk credit card market:
-64% of adults have a credit card
-£13.8b in revenue in 2022
-average of £416pp is spent on scratch cards and lottery each years

Product comparison:

Unlike traditional credit cards that offer rewards points, cashback, or miles, this product introduces a lottery mechanism as its unique selling point. This differentiates it from competitors by blending the utility of a credit card with the excitement of winning prizes, making everyday spending more engaging.
The expected value will be slightly lower than a regular credit card.

Why me?

Why the f not. I don’t know what I’m doing, I have no idea how to do this which puts me in the same ballpark as every other person out their.

@laguna_greg Here's what ChatGPT says

Starting a credit card company that incorporates a lottery feature, where a prize is awarded daily to one member, involves navigating a complex intersection of financial regulations and gambling laws. Here's a breakdown of the primary considerations:

Financial Regulations

First and foremost, establishing a credit card company requires compliance with financial regulations, which are stringent in most jurisdictions, including the UK. You'd need to:-

- Obtain Necessary Licenses: This includes authorization to operate as a financial institution, issue credit, and manage personal financial data.

- Meet Capital Requirements: Financial institutions are required to have a certain amount of capital to cover their operations and potential losses.

- Comply with Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) Regulations: In the UK, the FCA oversees credit card companies, ensuring they meet standards for treating customers fairly, protecting customer data, and other consumer rights.

Gambling Regulations

Incorporating a lottery feature introduces additional regulatory complexity, primarily because you're engaging in an activity governed by the Gambling Act 2005 in the UK. To comply, you'd need to:

- Obtain a Gambling License: If the lottery element of your business model is deemed gambling, you would need a license from the Gambling Commission.

- Ensure the Lottery is Legal: Your business model must fit within the types of lotteries permitted under UK law. Most lotteries are required to benefit a charitable cause, and purely commercial lotteries are largely prohibited.

- Adhere to Lottery Regulations: This includes following rules on prizes, ticket sales, advertising, and age restrictions.

Ethical and Practical Considerations-

Consumer Protection: Mixing credit services with gambling mechanisms raises significant ethical concerns, particularly around consumer protection and the risk of encouraging debt or gambling addiction.

- Business Viability: The novelty and complexity of combining these services could pose significant operational, legal, and reputational risks.

- Regulatory Scrutiny: Such a business model would likely attract heightened scrutiny from both financial and gambling regulators, requiring rigorous compliance systems and procedures.

Conclusion

While innovative, combining a credit card company with a lottery-based reward system would be highly challenging within the UK's regulatory framework. It would require navigating both financial and gambling regulations, with significant attention to legal compliance and ethical considerations.

Before pursuing such a venture, it would be essential to consult extensively with legal experts in both financial services and gambling law to fully understand the requirements and implications.

TL;DR: this is bloody complicated, there's no way you are going to get it over the line

If you are looking for a lottery idea (and there may already be some of these in the UK), this company is absolutely crushing it in Aus: https://lmctplus.com/

They circumvent lottery rules somehow by positioning it as a subscription. Not 100% sure of the details, but the founder has made hundreds of $m with a very small team

@mcarans Yeah this is a incredibly difficult market to navigate and the “gambling” side would add a layer of complexity.

Like any credit care, I’m the wrong hands this could be disastrous. I think working alongside stop gambling and not allowing people who are on the self-exclusion scheme to join will help.

The idea is to allow for people to “gamble” without having to actually spend anymore money, hopefully saving them £400+ a year on lotto tickets etc

Back