Shotstack.io - Cloud based Video Editing API SaaS

sofia555

I have built an online video editing API that lets you programmatically create videos using your programming language of choice (PHP, Node, Java, Ruby, etc…).

The API allows you to automate and personalise video editing processes at a massive scale (i.e. 1 million automated/personalised videos per hour).

You can personalise and replace names, text and titles, photos, video and audio for each video to create an infinite amount of personalised videos.

Media can potentially be pulled from any source (Facebook, Instagram, Vimeo, YouTube, S3, Dropbox etc..) and data can be pulled from any source (mailing lists, database, CSV file, social media, etc..).

I am looking to build a SaaS business around the API so my current goal is to establish product/market fit. At the moment it requires basic programming experience to use the API so it would be aimed at developers, creatives or entrepreneurs who want to build apps, campaigns or automate work flows.

Some things you might want to create with the API:
  • Slide show videos from photos (real estate, e-commerce products, photographers, social media)
  • Personalised marketing video (sign up welcome, thank you, we miss you videos)
  • Photobooth software (personalise and create videos from the photos)
  • Automate bullet time/multi camera array marketing campaigns (like this: r/https://www.spliceboys.tv/events/)
  • Build your own marketing video maker (like Promo or Biteable)
  • Create animated memes in gif format from videos and photos
The alternative is to build my own apps/software around the API which could include:
  • A Shopify or WooCommerce plugin to convert product images to videos
  • A WordPress plugin to convert images to video
  • A plugin for a CMS like Koken for photographers to create videos form their photos
  • Set up a marketing video maker (this seems to be quite a popular space right now)
I have a web site here with basic info, links to GitHub sample code and example videos: http://shotstack.io

And also documentation: https://shotstack.restlet.io

Do you think this is a service that you would use or could see being useful to certain industries? If so what businesses could use it or what use cases do you think it could have?

I welcome your roasting, critical feedback and questions.

Also let me know if you want an API Key to try it out for free.

@sofia555 speedy custom beautiful video creation is nifty, but who is going to need that aside from memers? even they want their message to be accurate above all else and are willing to wait for the creativity aspect to be right.

I can see twitch streamers getting on board if the customization and cache of media is right. Every new sub/donation gets a custom animation that reflects the new user's name/identity with a beautiful welcome message that takes up half the screen.

@jsnjt Thanks for your feedback. I think both of these are valid use cases and speed and creativity are two of the key features of the API. It has basic features right now but more creative transitions/filters/effects etc are coming. It would be possible to build some kind of 'Meme Maker' platform using this API. It is built for personalising video so while I'm not really across Twitch I am sure you could mash up something pretty interesting with their API and mine.

Back