Should I fire her? And if so, What do I say?

christianfrend

I own a small storage facility company (2 locations) and I recently hired an assistant manager to oversee employees, deal with tenant complaints/concerns/questions, set up and run auctions, and fill in as needed at the front desk. She signed a 90 day probation period form stating that we had the right to let her go without question or explanation in those 90 days.

We are in week 3 (she’s just now coming back from her week break), and I think I should fire her before her shift begins as to not have to worry about giving her another paycheck.

I’ve listed the issues below, and it’d be appreciated if y’all could let me know if these are red flag issues or something that should be discussed first. Also, I really need advice on what to say when I let her go today as this is my first time firing someone.

Issues:
She immediately requested a week off for our local holiday of Mardi Gras as her daughter was coming in town and they had many plans. I granted her the time off as I understand that many locals are deeply involved in M.G.

If this had been the only issue, I wouldn’t have worried, but I’ve been getting complaints from the other four employees regarding her performance and attitude towards the job since week one.

They’ve said the following:
- Takes 8-10 smoke breaks a day
- always glued to phone
- Closes office and runs closing in software 30 minutes before office hours end (can no longer accept payments at this point).
- Reeks of cigarette smoke so much that tenants complain and the small office reeks of it even days after she’s left.
- Shows up 30-60 minutes late
- Leaves whenever/ takes breaks for 1-2 hours at a time to run personal errands.
- Has not shown initiative

@christianfrend Call her up and tell she is terminated and it isn't working out. That is all you have to say. Don't even let her back on the property. Mail her the check. Move on to the next shitty employee. Sounds what I do a lot.

@christianfrend Louisiana is an At Will employement state.

You can make this real simple.

Call her up and say:
I am terminating your employment with our company and want to save you a trip to the office.

If she asks why:

Based on my observations and from our customers' feedback, we need to go in a different direction.
Thank you.

Anything that's due to her like a paycheck, let her know how and when it will be given to her.

@kabriana I agree. Personally, I only would have challenged 2 people from receiving UI for insubordination action and theft. Interestingly, neither applied for benefits.

I had a reason to deny anyone else from receiving benefits.