Started a small business flushing Tankless Water Heaters and made a few $1,000 in the first month. Here’s how I did it

siege777

It started when I was over at my friend’s house that he bought a few years ago. It is in one of those new fancy schmancy townhome developments that have tripled their home value in the past few years... His house came with all the best home appliances like smart wifi systems, kitchen sink that you can turn off by waving at it and, most importantly, a tankless water heater.

Tankless water heaters are seen as better because they last longer, use less electricity and you can have on-demand hot water every second. The downsides are that they are 3x more expensive than the traditional big tanks people usually have in their basements, and they need to be maintained every 12 months. Little particulates from the water can get coated on the inside and damage or clog it.

I was talking with my friend, and he was telling me about how he had to go and buy a bunch of tools to clean his tankless water heater. After he watched a few videos, it was a pretty simple process, and it would be a pretty simple business. People need to have their heaters flushed, and they need to pay about $75-$100 in materials to do it themselves... so they would probably pay $100 to have someone else come do it, right?

He is busy running a thriving concrete table business on Etsy (called Crete and Steel, look it up) and wouldn’t have time for it, so he handed it over to me. Here’s how I made $500 in the first week.

Researched a good name that would have good SEO or at least got the simple message across. I went with Flush My Tankless— pretty straightforward, nothing fancy.

I searched around for a little bit to see if it was being used on the internet. Got a free Google Gmail account.

Went over to NameCheap and bought a domain for $12. Got the 2 month free trial for the professional email which would be $3 a month.

Did a bunch of research on what would be the best landing page and was shocked to see that so many of them have exorbitant monthly subscriptions. I ended up going with Namecheap’s “Stellar” web hosting with access to cPanel with its web builder ($3 a month). The web builder is a pretty great no code solution for $3, definitely cheaper if you code yourself, but I was going for rapid testing.

Signed up for a few tracking analytics to see traffic; Google Analytics, Google My Business, and Hotjar.

I next needed a way for people to schedule me to come to their house for an appointment. I originally was going to go with Calendly but was very pleased when I found the Square has a free appointment software when you only have one user. I struggled with a few things getting it set up, but they have very helpful customer service (only calls, no chat) and I figured things out.

Now, awareness. I probably could have gone with Facebook ads or Google or some paid internet method, but I decided to go the old fashion way and make some flyers. I used Canva to design up some flyers and throw on a QR code and came up with a simple flyer. I’m no designer, but after some fiddling, I was pretty happy with it. Also used my Google Voice number on the flyer, so I was a little more anonymous.

I got them printed at PrintRunner because they had the best prices, $0.02 a flyer. I ordered 2000 for about $45. Did not have the best shipping time, though. I also ordered 200 at $0.13 each from FedEx with next day printing for about $20. I know, I know. It doesn’t makes sense to but 200 for half the price of 2000 but I wasn’t trying to wait a week to get started.

All this time, I watched a bunch of Youtube videos of actual plumbers teaching you how to do it. I would have had to have bought the necessary tools to do the flushing and that would have been about $75 but my friend let me borrow his. I did also have to buy a 5 gallon bucket ($5), a wrench ($7), double-sided tape (for flyers) ($2.50), and a gallon of white vinegar ($2.67).

So now I was ready to offer the Tankless Water Heater Flushing as a service (TWHFaaS). Up until this point I spent maybe a day or two of research and tech building and spent $97.17.

My wife and I did a bit of research and cold calling housing developments asking if their homes had tankless water heaters installed and made a list of neighborhoods.

On a Saturday afternoon, we went out for an hour and handed out 250 flyers. Not going to lie, I did not like it. Every other house has a Ring doorbell now and I knew some people would just hate that I am walking up to their door. But it’s the Hustle. You have to push through it.

We went home and I twiddled my thumbs for a few hours and then I got a phone call! Not through the sign up link I labored on... but I’ll take it! It was an old man and we scheduled a time for me to come on Monday!

The beauty of tankless water heater flushing is that it is incredibly easy. You set up the flushing (takes about 10 minutes) let it run for an hour at which point I can go out into my car and work on other things. Then come back and take it all down (5 minutes). So, $100 for about 15 minutes of work and the only expense of ($3) vinegar and the cost of marketing.

My wife and I went out a few days later and posted up flyers again for about 2.5 hours, about 400 flyers. Quickly got 4 more appointments.

Convinced my cousins to come post up more flyers and in return I buy them lunch. 6 people, 750 flyers per hour for 3 hours. More appointments flooded in.

So now I am averaging about 3-4 appointments a day. I am now posting on Craigslist and FB groups to find more people to hand out flyers. I’m thinking paying $0.10 a flyer, so about $12.50 an hour? So far no bites. But it is all a numbers game.

I get a consistent 1% return from flyers. So, 20 appointments ($2000) for every batch of 2000 flyers ($50). I’m now looking to expand more flyer posters and maybe even hire someone out at $40-50 per appointment to keep going. My area has unlimited new developments so I wont run out for a while. If I do, I have everyone’s information and I’ll just wait 12 months from now to offer a flushing again!

Hope this helps someone out there. All the information and ideas are out there, you just have to work for them a little bit. These gurus out here are trying to profit off of people’s insecurity and feelings of inadequacy. I am just a normal guy and I made this work and you can make your thing work, too.

@shuggiegreen That’s honestly a good idea. I would have to find out how willing people would be for the tankless water heater service to be done twice a year. Adjacently, I have been adding new services to the line up and offering a discount if they buy more.

@siege777 (Licensed plumber) Manufacturers recommend just once a year. Also, manufacturers will recommend not using vinegar, but rather a descale solution (flow aid)
If you can learn to clean the flame rods it would set you apart and can easily be fit during the time it takes to do the descale. Don't use sand cloth or anything to abrasive, i use a dollar bill to get off the shoot.
Also, there's a little filter on the cold inlet that should be check for build up. Might be good to have a few spares because even after perform a descale alone those little guys can leak.

@looneygal91 Thanks for the professional input. The one downside about the service is that there is nothing visible to clean so people have to know they need too. I’ve been happy people even hire me once a year.

I do check the cold inlet filter and have cleared out some serious junk out of some. I haven’t ventured into the fuel rods.

@siege777 If you dont already have it in your flyers and on your website, add the info about WHY they need cleaning every year, what happens if its not cleaned regulary

@pbev When you inevitably run across a particularly bad one, or one that went so long that the unit itself needs to be replaced, I'd offer the customer a discount on the service for permission to take pictures and use them on your future flyers/advertising. Nothing like "this is what happens" pictures that are your own and that you can discuss the actual, real-world details and context of with potential customers.

@endtimewitness You’re taking pictures of their water heater. No need to pay them. You’re not walking around their house videoing everything.

I used to ask if I could take pics of my work then just stopped when people said no problem. Now I just take pictures of everything I do. Never been asked a question except in an AT&T store where inventory wasn’t allowed to be photographed.

@xojessica First and foremost- there's a significant difference between taking pictures of your work for documentation/future reference purposes and advertising/public consumption purposes. Even if it's just of their water heater, many people will be a bit uncomfortable with you taking pictures of their ignorance/laziness with the intention of broadcasting it publicly. Probably not much discomfort, granted, but that's what a $20 discount in exchange for documented proof of your ownership/right-to-use of the image(s) is for. Side note- I've literally had to show proof of ownership of a graphic/image before in order to get an advert print run authorized through some vendors; they can be a bit ridiculous some times.

Second, at the end of the day, the customer is going to be put out by such a situation. A little discount costs you almost nothing in the long run while leaving a bit better taste in the customer's mouth and helping to negate the possibility of angry reviews.

TL;DR- It's super cheap insurance against rare, but problematic, bad possibilities.