Startup idea making $12,000/mo with AI portraits

jesrdking

I found a SaaS for sale making $12,000 per month by turning your selfies into artistic portraits using AI.

The business is similar to Lensa, which is probably the leading competitor in the space. About a year ago Lensa absolutely blew up and had everyone from Megan Fox to Lebron James creating portraits with their app.

The premise of the business seems trivial. You upload some selfies, the AI model gets trained on your pictures, and you get back pictures of your face in different, artistic settings. There isn’t much value or problem-solving being done here, but obviously, people love it. This definitely feels like one of those unique use cases where a business doesn’t solve any particular pain point but is still successful.

Is this concept just a hype train that will widdle down to nothing? I’m not sure. Lensa still got over 50,000 visits in the month of January, not to mention all the other apps in this space.

What sets this specific business apart from competitors like Lensa, Wonder-AI, and Photo AI is that it has a feature to create dance videos with your avatar. To me this feels more like a gimmick, but then again so does this whole space, and it’s making more money than I ever have.

It would be easy to grow a business like this through influencers. You would just give influencers access to their platform so they can create some cool portraits. Then they can upload them as a carousel on Instagram and promote the platform.

I think what makes this business enticing for a potential buyer is that 80% of the total user base is from Japan. That means this SaaS isn’t directly competing with a big player like Lensa. This gives the business the opportunity to grow and take over an international market that isn’t already saturated with a similar product.

I also think businesses in this space have the opportunity to expand into more sustainable business models, like photo editing (maybe like Facetune). You would be able to take the users you acquire through a slightly gimmicky concept and turn them into long-term customers.

The business is currently on sale for $690,000.

tl;dr: People love products that make them look cool. Not all products need to solve for a point, sometimes it just works.

p.s. I write a weekly 5-minute digest about online businesses (like this one) selling for life-changing amounts of money in my free newsletter, Startup Sphere.

Back