Startup idea: Subscribe to Interviewees

truth_love

I want to subscribe and be notified any time Jensen Huang is being interviewed. I don’t care who the interviewer is (i.e. what podcast he is on); I only care when he is the interviewee.

I think the podcast ecosystem is organized backwards. It thinks that what I care about is Lex Fridman. The default organization scheme is that it’s organized by the person producing it rather than the subject of the production. Imagine if the music industry only let you browse by record label rather than being able to browse by artist! It’s obvious that the artist of a song is a much more fundamental attribute than the producer of a song.

I think the same is true for podcasts, or at least interview-style podcasts. It’s way more important to me who the interviewee is. That’s what I want to subscribe to.

I’m not going to build this, but I want it to exist and I think it could be popular.

@truth_love This is a pretty good idea. Doesn’t even need to be an app, could just be an email list or something.

Main problem I see is that interviews of the same person get pretty repetitive, like watching the same standup artist in multiple cities. Yeah they’re hilarious, but the same act gets old even if there is some minor alteration from city to city.

I like the idea though

@christiantoday Yes! Definitely, I’d be happy with any format.

I find the opposite: there are a half dozen people whom I really admire, who are geniuses in their domain, and I will listen to every interview they do and I learn something new in every single one. So the signal to noise is great — the hit rate of “that was a valuable hour of my life” is very, very high.

And most people worth listening to who are in this category, don’t do a lot of interviews. They spend a majority of their time doing whatever it is they do rather than appearing on shows.

@lucymarie I’m not sure. Sounds like OP might pay for it so the question is how many people out there are like OP.

Other than that I wonder if you could monetize similar to a newsletter. Either charge $10/year or sell ads because you know what thought leaders and influencers people are into.

I could be totally wrong but I wouldn’t be surprised if there were 500k people out there that would pay $5/15/year + allow for an occasional ad

Back