Startup Startup - The platform connecting talent to build amazing startup teams

jezza1

The product: Startup Startup is a free online platform connecting talent to build successful startup teams. On www.startup2.net, people interested in joining a startup can create a profile to showcase their skills and connect with people looking to create or already involved in an early stage startup. You can showcase your startup or idea through beautiful profiles. If you're looking to build or expand their team, you can specify the person you're looking for and connect with Talents interested in joining a startup.

The market: We don’t only target early stage startups, but also people with great ideas and people interested in joining startups. This means it’s difficult to establish exactly how big the market is. To give you a general idea, it’s estimated there are 472 million entrepreneurs worldwide involved in 305 million startups. There are around 100 million new startups every year, with the total number of tech startups at 1.35 million.

Product analysis / comparison against competition: You could see any startup focused recruitment sites (e.g. tyba.com) as a competitors, as well as co-founder dating sites like cofounderslab.com. Where we're different from recruitment sites is first of all the cost. We believe that for many early stage startups paying for recruitment is not really an option, and offering a salary rather than equity (or a combination of both) might not work either. We differ from co-founder dating because we focus more on the team as a whole rather than bringing two people together (which is essentially what dating is). We've come across a couple of other recently launched platforms with (fairly) similar approaches to ours but we provide better UX/UI and have a broader (and more international) user base.

What stage we’re at: We’ve been backed by an investor and are not raising money at the moment.

Customer conversion strategy: First of all, we’re not selling anything but rather offering a free platform for people to connect and start collaborating, which probably helps our conversion. We find our users by speaking to the startup community, both in person and online.

Why us? We love startups. We have done a lot of user research to establish what our MVP should look like and are gathering great feedback now to continue to develop and improve Startup Startup. We have a great, well-balanced team and an amazing, rapidly growing user base.

@jezza1 OK looks like this thread is full of non-roasting softies right now. Paging /@felly to help me alleviate that.

I'll take a shot but I'm on vacation so I'm feeling really nice.

I have seen this idea 100,000,000 times. Cofounderdating, founderdating, founderlab, cofounderlab, datingfounderlab, and a million other variations on the same 3-4 words. You just cut to the chase and used the same word twice. As a matter of fact, I think I'm at the point where I could just build a "cofounderdating building site" which can generate cofounderdating sites for you and you can name them whatever the hell you want. Shit I'm even tempted to do it now but again I'm on vacation. Yours is called "startup startup" - I want you to reflect on this for a minute. You're just missing the "making the world a better place" tag and you're golden.

You're a techie? Good - prepare to be bombarded with e-mails by morons who want to help you grow your company and who really think they're what's missing in your life because they once had an idea while taking a shower.

But you know what let me register to your site.

OK - even the same template as most of the other sites, with what is probably the most used background image on the internet. Lots of things broken on the UI, pretty crappy overall, lots of dupes, but let's get to the meat. So who's on there?

Visionary. Visionary, Vi, another Vi, more Vi. Everybody's a visionary. So cool that your site is full of such visionary geniuses. You know what, you should probably send those guys here for a little dose of reality.

The most accomplished team on there is a guy whose Kickstarter was overfunded. And made 3,000$. Wow.

Ultimately, your site will be used for the same reason young start-ups post to a million other cofounder sites. To improve their SEO score.

@moonstar2024 Thanks for the refreshing reality check :). I understand the principle of roasting so I won't write a long comeback tackling each point. If there are any aspects in particular you'd want me to respond to please do get in touch with me. Let me just quickly reply to two points you made (I can't help myself):

"The most used background image on the internet": most of the images on the site, including the background image on the homepage which is a recurring theme, are actually photos taken by our Designer so they're pretty unique ;).

The point you make about who's on the site is very interesting and a very valid question. Although Visionaries are indeed the largest group of users, the spread is fairly even so there's a good mix of all archetypes on the platform.

Anyway, thanks again for roasting Startup Startup, after all that's what this subreddit is all about. Sorry I couldn't help but respond to a couple of your points, hope you don't mind. Really appreciate your honesty and feedback though!

@jezza1 I left my bio section blank when I pressed submit, why do I have to reload the page for the validation to run? Can this be made into an ajax call once I hit the submit button?

do the validation check, if its all good then submit the form?

Back