T&M tracking tool question

lupo

Hi, I am wondering how many of you is using some sort of T&M tracking tool like Harvest, Toggl or Clockify? We are 30 people agency and using Clockify for this puprose. I quite like it.

My idea would be to build simple team based time tracking tool that supports unlimited projects and users and is charged $200 for 7 years of use! It would also be open sourced, so tech savy users can host it them self without any paywalls and not being locked in.

My theory is that code does not rust, and that servers aren't as expensive as long as you are not on cloud provider. (We do own our own hardware in data centers that cost $85/month and have 196GB of RAM and 56 processors with 3TB disks). I think we would have enough money to keep it running after 1k new users a year. Take in consideration that we would not have all the crazy features that are being built right now in existing solutions and would not try to solve everything under the sun.

It would just be a tool to track time you charge to your clients and enable you to forecast how much money you'll make and if some hours are not entered that where planned/budgeted.It would have basic time tracking, billable/non billable hours, exports for invoice prepeation, paid time off, sick days, wfh, forecast for teams and a warning to team member if he/she is under planned hours. Maybe integration with github/LLM for developers to enable helping with descriptions of work (maybe not).

Would you consider it and why or why not?