Thanks to /r/sweatystartup I was able to sell my business 2months ago and now looking for another project

rehmet07

(thought I’d ask the community)

One thing the biggest and most frustrating things was making content so I’m going to solve this by creating a business around it!

Thinking of a video production/editing by helping establish their IG, Reels, Shorts.

So I figured the best way to produce this is it to spend a couple of hours to film 3-6 months of content

in half a day. Jumping on the camera to film:
  • 10x things you commonly get asked by customers
  • 10x things you can educate them on or tips and tricks
  • 6x stories/case studies you’ve helped someone
Happy to help and edit those videos in all the social media formats so you get up and running as well with captions/subtitles etc.

What do you all think of the idea?

Cheers

@rehmet07 You are way way way undershooting the amount of time it will take to film. Unless you are working with a crew and clients who are somewhat accustomed to being filmed (for “professional production” level content) you are going to spend a lot of time coaching and blocking and shooting only to find out 90% of it is undesirable.

You can offer a decent product and some less discerning clients might go for it. Anyone willing to spend a few thousand dollars (which is what you should be valuing this type of package at…) is also going to have specific expectations.

Source: I have shot and edited digital photography and video since 2010, primarily food, travel, and events; I was in charge of digital content and social media as GM of an award winning restaurant; I’ve worked with dozens of pros for video and photography as a client. Some were awesome and expensive, others were cringe and also expensive.

EDIT because doom-and-gloom: That’s not to say this is not an extremely valuable and underserved market, but it really is a grind and not as simple as your post. You are defining static content which is quickly outdated, whereas businesses need to have engaging dynamic content that can respond to current tends in their own customer base.

@rehmet07 If you have a passion for this kind of work/content and it’s already in your skill set, why not give it a go small scale.

And if you want some more information from both the client side and pro side, feel free to DM me.

A quick context: the company our restaurant used for 2 years pre-covid charged $1900 a month (we negotiated both our locations into that, normally $1500 for each “account”). They did a monthly photo shoot (4 hours on site total), provided us some finished photos to post ourselves, and then posted once, sometimes twice a day, to our social media and also engaged with our audience. As the client I spent 4-6 hours per month corresponding, which means they did also. Maybe your service could be more Turn and Burn

@meiguorach Coming back to this post two years later and holy moly its been a ride and journey.

I've farly underestimated how much work it has been from the client and staff side. It's been the most stressful and learning experience and lucky there hasn't been any major issues.

On the bright side. I'm at the point where I'm working remote and have a few freelancers serving clients on the video editing side.

I hope you're well and I severely underestimated your advice.

Thanks mate

@rehmet07 I know it's something I'm working on right now, though when I reached out to different people or agencies to inquire, the quotes were astronomical.