The Business I'm Giving Away

deeinkp

Last week I promised to start a business from scratch, turn it from $0 to profitable and then give it away to someone.

Here's the idea I'm working on.

👀 What we’ve seen

Messaging app Discord is estimated to have made $300 million in 2021, a 566% increase since 2019.

Popular in gaming, news and with Gen-Z, Discord has 150m active monthly users that communicate via text, voice, and video chat, and join like-minded communities in Discord ‘Servers’ (like Slack workspaces).

ℹ️ Why this matters

As Discord’s active user numbers have rocketed and popular Server communities have ballooned, Discord has let Server owners monetize their communities.

Since late 2021, Server owners can charge up to $99.99 per month for premium content and exclusive channels.

Right now, however, Discord Server communities are still heavily under-monetized. Just like other fast-growing social platforms that spawned massive supporting industries, there are many opportunities to capitalise on Server growth.

💡 The idea

Develop a Discord Server sponsorship business. I'm building a marketplace with a commission business model that matches Discord Servers with relevant sponsors, the same way Paved matches newsletter publishers with sponsors.

This would help Server owners diversify and grow their revenue streams while providing businesses access to relevant audiences.

@deeinkp Discord is a really popular and versatile platform. I haven’t thought of this monetization strategy before, that’s neat! How will you decide who to give it to?