Thinking about starting a business

pt_barnum

I'm tired of health insurance premiums costing so much, the large deductibles, and the denial of care. I hate that in order to reasonably afford healthcare I need to have a job, and then have one that actually cares enough to give me good insurance. Realistically, Universal Healthcare probably isnt going to happen anytime soon in this country (GO AMERICA?) so trying to figure out some other ways to make sure I, and others, can get the care they need.

Im thinking of starting a business but before I dive into that pool, I would love to see if this might be valuable to others. The idea here is a way for people to finance their own care over time through installments, but without interest. Im still working out the particulars but would love it if you could take the survey I linked below and let me know if it would be helpful.

https://exq9ytxb8ks.typeform.com/to/dGg3BuiJ

@pt_barnum Like an HSA? Sounds like an HSA. Or a reverse HSA. I am pretty sure you can negotiate intrest free or near intrest free payments with just about any hospital. In fact, you could get a job as the person that helps people negotiate payments at the hospital. You would be doing what your talking about and working at a hospital probaly comes with pretty decent insurance.

@izzy65 Sort of! An HSA is insurance, and effectively a nest egg. Ideally the goal here to not touch your HSA if at possible, saving it for catastrophic or high value health events.

e.g If you have a $500 health bill, dont touch your HSA, use whatever this is and spread that cost over time and let your HSA grow. Also you cant use your HSA on pets...

@pt_barnum There are lots of savings services out there and you can set up payment plans through most providers. Personally I use Opportun/formerly Digit to set up an emergency savings for my pets and my HSA for my personal health. If my insurance plan didn’t have an HSA.

There’s also carecredit which is a bit slimey but is a health care specific credit card and financing program. If you’re not charging interest, you’d need to charge fee of some kind. Vets require payment at the time of care so if you’re offering financing you’d have to essentially be offering loans and assume that responsibility. If you’re just a savings program, tons of products already exist.

@pt_barnum if you are healthy and rarely go to the doctor then dont worry about overpaying for insurance!. I have been out of pocket now for 20+ years. $2k deductable with an HSA. I pay less than $500/mo (single).