This is it… the ending of my app idea.. what do you think?

nikki22

I’ve come up with a dating app idea. One obviously that works/functions/has different features than the current ones…
It’s been a year and I’ve tried to perfect the idea to a T.

It’s essentially a connecting app. B2C. B2B in the works. Catered more to online daters who are willing to meet up with other daters within a week. 21 and over only. Subscription based. 9.99 a month. Less than other apps. Also offering a trial to those who want to pay for a first date, 4.99.

The way it works is you create your profile like any other dating app, we require a full body pic. Full face pic, and 2 random pics of your choice. It’s grid style app. You see 9 people daily, only. Pick 4 to want to ‘date.’ When you get a match, you then fill in you coming weeks availability, as does the other person. I don’t want people to spend time on our app swiping or even conversing because time shouldn’t be spent behind a screen rather meeting people in person, or out doing life.

Next, the app generates a day, time, and location to meet. My future goal is to partner with small business to get our daytors a unique experience from the businesses through our app (still in the works.)
No conversation on the app. You check into the date with a simple ‘I made it’ button when you’re there. We also have plans for QR coding to check in. Still finalizing this. But this check in is to combat flaking. Ihave a 3 strike rule. You don’t show: strike. You don’t look like your pics: strike (warning to change pictures). You make the daters feel uncomfortable: strike. Implementing this strictly will be crucial and key to making the app successful. 3 strikes and youre banned.
Trying to not schedule dates past 9pm. And only in open setting with people around.

At the end of date you have a post questionnaire and are asked about the date and if you’d meet again. If so, and both say yea, we give you some of their info to contact off the app. If not, they get deleted from your grid.

There’s been a growing demand in meeting ‘instantly’ (a week or avg 4 days), especially post pandemic.

The dating market revenue has grown every year since 2015 from 1.36 billion to 5.61 billion in 2021.

I’m now creating the prototype and looking for investors interested in the market. If you know the market, you know there’s been a demand for change in OLD. This is it. Trust me, I’ve done my research. I’m so excited to get it out to the public. I will only start in Los Angeles, but when it takes off here, will expand city to city.

The company is incorporated. I have the shares. I have the tin. I have some IP addresses. & The business plan is 80% complete.

So excited, and ready for the journey.

@nikki22 Definitely means more than no replies and mandatory dates.

You've designed this whole thing from the perspective of men. Which is fine, and they do deserve better dating apps over the bullshit current ones pull, but if the women don't intend to use your app, it's pointless.

And since they will always be a minority on any dating app, you're bound to cater first to them, not men.

@jackson16 I completely understand that this style of dating is not for everyone, and i get people are used to the Tinder style of dating. As mentioned, the app will only start in LA, the women here tend to be more 'go getters'

There is an app, which just came out in LA, similar to my idea. The women in the city actually love it, but the app is very hard to navigate, its slow, and the way he designed it isnt user friendly.

Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated

@robertthebruce the entire pitch was void of safety features for women but they expect you to just show up on a random date with someone you’ve never even had a conversation with. I think I know why they wanna build this app 😂

@nikki22 Research the app Breeze, I think it's only in the Netherlands. But it's a great app, I've used it for a few coffees/walks/drinks dates. Very refreshing to get away from the endless chatting on the other apps, no need for superficial "pickup lines" and whatnot... I can imagine for their creators it's quite a lot of work, they set up each date individually, location, time, etc (sure there are some algorithms to help but it's still a pretty heavy workload on their end (from convos with one of their dev's)).

Basically, you set up your profile in the city you're in, and select the type of date you're looking for, I think the choices are Walk & Talk, Coffee, and Drinks. You get a selection of 3-4 profiles every day at a specific time (catered to your interests), and its Interested or Not interested. New batch the next day, same time. If you do not respond to the set you have, it doesn't change until you make a decision. Once you do match, the app decides based on the choice you selected (Walk, Coffee, Drinks) and sets you up with a meetup point (you give preferences for date and time and it will match the best choice for that activity). You pay per date. The price (is usually about 7 bucks). For coffee or drinks for example it will also get that first coffee or drink or snacks on them (suppose that's what you're paying for). For walk & talk, it will suggest different points of interest for your walk. The in-app conversation between matches only appears a day or two before the date and is really meant for planning. I've never had anyone try to "feel me out" before the date. Standing up a date will get you suspended, and matching and not going through with the date 3x will get you suspended. again, overall an easy, stress-free app, I've gone on 2 city walks, 3 Sunday coffees, and 2 drinks this year.

I think your app idea is pretty similar to this, so maybe this will give you some additional insight to fine-tune. Honestly, I think you're doing too much. Take out the subscription, pay per date (what's the point of a sub if you don't match with anyone that month etc.). Simplify it to start and then add features based on feedback. the 3-strike rule is kinda unnecessary, however, do leave in a way for daters to report if they felt uncomfortable with a user, etc.

And yes, completely agree about your research on the pandemic/post-pandemic dating scene. The same thing happened here in the Netherlands, socially distanced walking dates were all the rave during and it kinda continued after. People are more interested in getting out and meeting up instead of endlessly chatting on apps.

But you will also get comments like the other poster aimeemaco.. so much fear and anger and negativity in the world today... she could definitely use a walk & talk.

Keep at it, reach out to me if you want to spitball. I love app brainstorming sessions.

@sakamoto I've used the app a few times and fully agree with everything said here! Maybe also good to add is that Breeze lets you fill in many characteristics such that you can better determine if somebody's a fit.

@sakamoto Wow!

Thanks for this. Actually in doing research, I did learn of breeze.. i downloaded it, but its basically non existent in the US.

Ill take this feedback and see what i can fix

@nikki22 First of all - as an app developer - never tell anyone that you want people to spend less time on your app - it's a nice thing to say but really - you want people to spend time on your app not efficiently dating.

Secondly, The woman should be allowed to set the time and location of the date - this is standard practice.

The grid idea sounds fun but you need to work on the underlying concept.

You say you have done the research - have you spoken to any women about it - getting women on board is the most important step in this market.

@eugenelester AS mentioned in a comment above, there is already an app here in LA. Lucky for me, he validated the product/idea and its doing well, but lacks a lot in execution.

As far as women sending the time and location, I actually doubt women like having to go through the hassle of picking the place and time... I think men should be the ones to do this.

Thanks for the feedback. super helpful

@eugenelester Don’t know what you mean by stranger.

It’s chosen by the app based on preference of what youd like to do. Everything is fair game.

It’s done for this exact reason, the debate of who should chose the place.

@nikki22 “At the end of date you have a post questionnaire and are asked about the date and if you’d meet again. If so, we give you some of their info to contact off the app. If not, they get deleted from your grid.“

I don’t understand why you give out their details if the people have already met in person

@yotpi What? It’s only if if both say yes. You’re assuming after one date that both parties exchange info. That’s actually very strange of you.

@nikki22 If they go on a date and one person doesn't give out their info- then you can safely say that the person is not into the date.

The six downvotes you have got tells me that my thinking isn't that strange :)

@nikki22
You make the daters feel uncomfortable: strike.

How will this be enforced? Cause without someone actually being there, as a third wheel, anyone can claim anything. Men won't claim this, even if they have been made uncomfortable since toxic masculinity is a thing.

And since you require payment and such a high level of personal detail, you'll simply take such a claim at face value, and just like rape charges (withoit rape happening), the guy will be banned with no appeal (because he can't just make another profile) - essentially giving him less than he paid for for something you have no proof of, and he can't defend against.

@nikki22 How is this different from matching with someone on Tinder and asking if they want to meet up right away? Apps don't force you to chat, people do that because they want to (safety, get to know the person a little, etc.)