Tips and Tricks to earn Product of the Day on ProductHunt (2x back-to-back launches)

lemons2lemonade

Hey r/indiebiz!

I just launched my second product (Newsletter Crew) on ProductHunt today and it's trending #1! The first product I launched (IndieStack) I also ended up finishing in first place.

Earning Product of the Day is a big achievement for your product and brings in an influx of users/revenue while also providing a very strong backlink to your website.

I've noticed a few really interesting patterns between this launch and the first launch. I wanted to summarize these points for everyone to take advantage of when they go to launch.
  1. Community is everything
This is number one for a reason. Without the communities, I'm apart of there's no way I'd get first place. The key, as Sam Parr always mentions, is to give more than you take. Just keep giving. Never ask for anything in return. I spent months helping the community with questions, feedback, etc. And today is the day I reached out to everyone I had helped to ask for the return.
  1. Launch on a slower day
The peak ProductHunt days are Monday-Thursday. Friday is a bit more active, but not as much as the other weekdays. Saturday and Sunday are the least active. If you want to compete with some of the bigger products then launch early on the weekday. If your goal is to have the best chance of earning Product of the Day, then launch on a day where the big guys aren't playing. They will eat you up. Imagine launching on a day Trends launched.
  1. Launch at Midnight
From what I understand ProductHunt takes into account the time you've been launched for that day. For some, that means staying up quite late. Yesterday I launched at 2am (Central US time), then another hour of messaging people. Then I went to bed at 3am. Woke back up at 7:30am and keep grinding.

Plus if you can get that initial influx of upvotes within the first hour, it'll propel you to #1. From there the #1 spot keeps compounding on itself since most visitors simply upvote the top product just for fun.

I'll keep posting as I think of more tips and tricks for a successful ProductHunt launch. Please reply below with any questions, I'm happy to answer. I'm here all day :) Also please support Newsletter Crew on launch day, I'd really appreciate it :) https://www.producthunt.com/posts/newsletter-crew

Back