Toothpaste Idea

bigcheese

Natural, locally-sourced whitening toothpaste w/fluoride. In a broad sense, toothpaste is a big market with big competitors like Crest and Colgate. The natural toothpaste market is smaller and can be divided in to the fluoridated and non-fluoridated camps. There are 2 main competitors in the arena of natural, fluoridated toothpaste being Tom's of Maine (owned by Colgate) and Hello toothpaste. Both of these toothpastes contain some well recognized synthetic ingredients and don't source locally. I'm a dentist in the pacific northwest so a lot of the mint, herbs and other ingredients are native. Natural health and beauty products are a big industry and toothpaste has place in it. I'm still in brainstorming and planning stages but have a manufacturer that can have toothpaste filled and packaged $1.95/unit with a minimum of 5-10k units (negotiating). Planning to sell and market online, farmers market, hopefully whole foods, natural food stores, local drug stores (bartells). Please roast me!

@bigcheese It's doable, but it's not easy by any stretch of the imagination. I don't understand why anyone would care about the source locally thing for toothpaste. It sits on your shelf for months. In my mind this is a non issue for nearly everyone. It's not fresh food we're talking about. I think you'll need to find other better value propositions.

If you go to a Sprouts or Whole Foods you will see that there is ample competition. Search google or Amazon for organic tooth paste. But as you say, the big players dominate 99% of the market. This is not likely to change any time soon. This has to do with distribution challenges more than anything else. Toms of Maine started in 1970 so it took them about 40 years to get to a point where they were bought by Colgate. And they sell more than just toothpaste. Do you love this idea enough to stick with it for many years?

Another consideration is the legal aspect. Not only do you have to deal with FDA label requirements etc. That's the easy part. The hard part is that Colgate and Proctor & Gamble and their like have trainloads of fuck you money and armies of lawyers who do nothing all day but scheme of ways to squash cockroaches like you. It means nothing for them to go to great lengths to try to attack you from angles you are not prepared for. Be prepared because legal expenses are going to happen as soon as you get any attention, and they will be more then you could possibly dream of right now. This is not conspiracy theory, it's a fact. see Warner-Lambert Company v. BreathAsure, Inc. as an example. Just work a healthy legal budget into your business plan is all I'm saying. Cross your eyes and dot your ts before you start selling product. Check with IP lawyers regarding your labeling, advertising, recipes, etc. to make sure you aren't violating some patent or trademark and register yours in kind. Also check with liability lawyers about that aspect of it.

have a manufacturer that can have toothpaste filled and packaged $1.95/unit

This is only a small portion of your expense. You'll have setup expense, website, brand design legal, etc. Not a big deal. But the mistake a lot of startups make is that they assume that they can bootstrap up to a large enough volume that it will bring their expenses down, so they don't price it right. People don't expect to pay more than $4 for a tube of regular toothpaste. Say you can double that for your premium product. $8 - 50% = $4 - $2 manufacturing. That leaves you $2 to pay your employees and electric bill. You'll have to get to a point where you are selling about 1000 tubes a day to actually turn this from a hobby to a business.

It's not impossible, not at all. In fact I think that if it's marketed and branded properly, there are niches who would clamor for a new toothpaste that meets their needs. You have to find the niches that are in the sweet spot of not too big and not too small. It's a legitimate strategy to use Farmers markets to promote your product. But those arenas should be used to drive traffic to online recurring sales.

@runestar Thanks for all of the feedback. I appreciate you taking the time to do that. The value I see in sourcing locally has more to do with the fact that customers will have a real understanding of where the ingredients is coming from and that way it would be very transparent. Hello Toothpaste does something similar. However, I'd like to take it further and have a way to support the local economy which I think is good for business too.

I like to think in addition to the great ingredients, there's value in it being developed by a dentist. Don't know how much people care about that, but it must be worth something. I'm around people and teeth all day, so I have a passion for this stuff.

As far as the toothpaste aisle goes, there are tons of natural toothpastes. However, most of them don't have fluoride and are therefore cosmetic products. There's no science or literature to back up the products without fluoride for the claims that they provide a benefit. Currently there's only 1 natural toothpaste on the market with an ADA approval and that's Tom's of Maine. I'd like to be the second one.

The legal stuff is intimidating to see the least. I'm aware of proctor and gamble recently suing Hello toothpaste as well. I really appreciate your insight on that subject. It's something I'll plan for from the beginning.

@bigcheese No problem, but again, I don't see value in local sourcing. If anything that limits your market. You can't sell it in both Arizona and Washington as locally sourced.

As for the no fluoride value proposition, that probably because it has appeal for a lot of weirdos. You know how there are all kinds of trends like that with people looking for alternatives.

good luck.

Back