Understanding COGS

lightworker0000

This is not directly EIDL/PPP related but I wanted to at least provide some useful information for folks. I've seen some bizarre ratios for Rev/COGS which leads me to believe that people don't fully understand how to calculate it. I also was not sure intending for this to be tax based definitions but rather actionable ones used up view business health.

COGS or Cost of Goods Sold is an accounting term defined as the direct cost of producing goods. Essentially, COGS should scale with revenue proportionally. The more units you sell, the more COGS will be required. Yes there are economies of scale here but I'm ignoring that for smaller businesses.

Goods are a little more straight forward at the beginning:

A Widget sells for X and the cost of the widget is Y. Y is your COGS for the Widget. Administration costs, management, overhead, rent, storage costs, lawyers, ads are all considered OpEx as they are not direct costs of the Widget.

Now lets say you are a manufacturer that uses labor to put things together:

A Widget sells for X and the materials for the Widget cost Y and the LABOR for the widget costs Z. In this case, both Y and Z are directly related to producing the Widget so both are considered COGS. Again, OpEx is still the other stuff.

Lastly, and the one that seems to have the most confusion is a service company. Say you run a creative agency, or a pool cleaning company, or a landscape mowing company. There won't be a large amount of materials involved in these businesses. They are service based businesses. They do however have a high percentage of labor. This type of labor should also scale pretty linearly: the more pools you have to clean, the more people you need.

For a service model:

A pool cleaning sells for X, materials for the pool cleaning are Y (lets say $0 in this case) and the cost of labor is Z. In this case, Y ($0) and Z are considered COGS as the labor is directly related to producing what you are selling. This counts for service AND products which are ultimately the same thing.

Edit: If you are pure service company and an exclusion, you won't have COGS according to your taxes. The equivalent would be Cost of Sales/Service/Revenue. Why the EIDL used COGS instead of gross margin I do not know.

There can be some vagueness in determining if some roles in a company are direct vs. indirect. In my company I do some design (revenue producing) and some management (indirect, OpEx). Generally we follow the rule of if more than half of the person's time is spent producing revenue, count them as COGS rather than OpEx. Regardless, COGS is a very good term to understand if you are a sole prop dropshipper or a 40 person service company. Accounting is not just something for taxes and your CPA: it can help guide your company through very tough times such as these. Understanding how to communicate with accountants, banks, investors etc. has been critical for me in the last 2-3 years and growing more so.

Good luck to everyone! Stay safe.

EDIT: Because it needs to be said. I am NOT an accountant. More importantly, I am not YOUR accountant. If your accountant said use $0 go for it. I'm in the design and construction spaces and drafting time counts as COGS according to my CPA even though it isn't a good. If I had that option I would likely argue the point as well to maximize the loan.

@lightworker0000 Thank you for providing this. It’s amazing to me how many people don’t understand how to calculate COGS.

I’ve seen many posts about people upset because their COVID loan didn’t go through, then others start asking questions such as what are your COGS. Then I’ll see the person has no clue, “I don’t know what I put down”.

The person said they have 25-employees and they didn’t know what they put down for COGS? The correct answer is let me look at my financials. Without basic knowledge or even a financial statement, there is absolutely no doubt why so many didn’t get approved.

@delise My favorite has been the people asking how to drastically change their cogs (down by 50% or more of course). It’s not like your end of year inventory or ly labor costs have changed unless you massively screwed it up the first time people.

Also another thing to mention that I’ve seen people getting confused on has to do with shipping and freight costs. If you paid shipping to receive inventory you’re reselling or raw materials you’re using them that’s part of cogs. If it’s postage you’re paying to ship an item to a customer then that’s an expense.

Edit: Spelling

@hams Yeah. Amazing how hundreds are posting "help I put the wrong COGS (by massive factors) how do I change it". More like they just figured how that's how the loan amount is calculated.

@joseph700 Slightly off topic here, but amazing how so many are also posting something along the lines of “I am frustrated with how long this process is taking due to the bogged down system so I think I will apply again” [which of course will bog the system down even further].

@joseph700 That's not true for everyone. I didn't have my first three months of 2020 done. I should have looked at my 2018 taxes to help me. 2019 isn't finished yet. Mine loan will be much lower based on what I put compared to the last 3 years.

@lightworker0000 The number of supposed business owners who don't even understand the term COGS is highly disturbing. The SBA dumbed it down a lot for the short form by not even requiring a full P&L, but not enough apparently. Perhaps they simply should have had a single line of "gross profit".

@joseph700 Gross profit on the short form, I would have been clear on. And yes, I'm in the camp that is disturbed I was not clear on that line item. Thank you OP.

@lightworker0000 For a lot of very small businesses, there is no clear distinction between management, administration, and providing services. The same few people are owner, operator, manager, administrator, marketer, service provider, etc. I think that's where people are having a hard time.

If you have a family-run service company with 4 owner-operators, and everybody spends 50% of their time doing the thing, and the other 50% of their time managing the thing, selling the thing, marketing the thing, doing the books, doing IT, or whatever other role they have... which person's labor is COGS and which labor is not?

@janblessed If it is really that even and consistent, maybe all, maybe none, maybe half. I agree that the numbers are less "clear" than in a bigger company but its certainly doable.

In your case, an idea would be to take the labor costs of all labor hours that were billed. For instance, you know that you pay yourself $30/hr and you billed 1200 hours last year so COGS for 2019 for your portion could be $36,000. I would say that in my experience though this is going to be an outlier. Most of the small companies like that are direct 95% of the time and do the rest whenever they can.

@prodigal_son1111 Exactly. I took the 0 COGS right from my Schedule C. My tax accountant put it together that way. Everything else was under the various expenses categories. EIDL (I know this thread wasn't directly pertaining to EIDL) asked for COGS which is on another section of Schedule C, and not various expenses, i.e., taxes, office expenses, licenses, insurance, etc.

@prodigal_son1111 No triggering. We have an accountant in our office and a separate CPA for the bigger stuff. Our CPA says that stuff like labor for drafting/design is considered direct labor and COGS. Our old one did not. I'm not saying ignore your CPA's advice. I'm more trying to give an overview to the people that had negative COGS ratios and other weird stuff.

@lightworker0000 I am not an accountant but service companies that do not carry inventory don't need to expense COGS.

Investopedia - Industries That Cannot Claim Cost of Goods Sold :

Exclusions From Cost of Goods Sold (COGS) Deduction
Many service companies do not have any cost of goods sold at all. COGS is not addressed in any detail in generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), but COGS is defined as only the cost of inventory items sold during a given period. Not only do service companies have no goods to sell, but purely service companies also do not have inventories. If COGS is not listed on the income statement, no deduction can be applied for those costs.

Examples of pure service companies include accounting firms, law offices, real estate appraisers, business consultants, professional dancers, etc. Even though all of these industries have business expenses and normally spend money to provide their services, they do not list COGS. Instead, they have what is called "cost of services," which does not count towards a COGS deduction.

(emphasis mine)

Now it's probably possible to expense your services in a way such that your report COGS like if you file a 1040 + schedule C. But a purely service company that files a 1065 or whatever should generally not be expensing COGS unless you carry inventory.

Finally reiterating that I am not an accountant and you should be discussing this with them if you are unsure!

@blessedsingle In a pure services company it could be Cost of Services or Cost of Revenue which could be used as part of a gross margin calculation. If I had strictly service companies, I would have used the CoS/CoR where COGS were. In theory, having no COGS would give you the biggest loan but it doesnt communicate the intent of the calculation.

Accounting can be reported different ways and everyone should have a good CPA or accountant that doesnt just do taxes.

Back