Upselling from $8/mo to $2k/mo

ovixs90

I just closed a client for $1947/mo.

But 5 months ago he was spending only $8/mo.

Most customers have way more purchasing power than you think.

Unlock it with the power of stacking.

Here's my 3-steps stacking formula:​

Step 1 - Build trust with a low-ticket product​

In a world full of scams and deceit, building trust is damn hard.

The best way to combat skepticism is through a free or low-ticket product, where you can go above and beyond to demonstrate your credibility.

When I first onboarded this client onto my SaaS, an AI to help you with HARO link-building, my product was at a very early stage with many rough edges. He gave me lots of great feedback.

I implemented his suggestions the same day and got more feedback from him.

After a couple of back-and-forths, I established myself as a trustworthy hustler, instead of just a stranger online.

This is easy to do for an agile startup but impossible for big companies, so make good use of opportunities like this to build long-term relationships.

Turn your customers into raving fans.

Step 2 - Validate a mid-ticket offer​

Three months into his subscription, he told me he wanted to cancel.

When digging into the why, he suggested a performance-based DFY service to remove all the work on his end.

Inspired by his suggestion, I took on him and 6 other clients for $237, a one-time package for 1 backlink. It's sold through my newsletter email blast to 300 subscribers, with a total CAC of $0. I wrote about the details of this launch in another long form.

At this price range, impulsive purchases can still happen if you have a strong offer and good copywriting.

Use this mid-ticket offer to validate your offer and positioning, build out a team, and establish trust.

We went beyond the 1 link for almost all our clients, including this one in particular.

For $237, we got him on Forbes, HubSpot, 2 DR50+ sites, and a few other smaller media outlets.

By doing this, we further built trust into the relationship and established authority in what we do.

Step 3 - Create a high-ticket subscription-based offer​

By now, you'll hopefully have built enough trust to get through the skepticism filter for something high-ticket.

Now, it's time to develop an offer that amplifies your previous one.

Something that allows you to let your clients achieve their goals to the maximum extent.

For me, this is pitching every relevant media query on every platform for this client every day, to leverage HARO link-building to its full extent, all for a fixed price of $1947/mo.

This customized offer is based on direct client feedback, isn't publicized on our website, but we're confident it will directly contribute to achieving this client's goal.

A subscription-based offer is much superior because it allows you to create a stable source of revenue, especially at the early stage.

That's how I created 3 different offers to solve the same problem for one client. By stacking each offer on top of the previous one, I was able to guide clients from one option to the next.

This formula isn't some new rocket science I came up with.

It's proven over and over again by other agency owners building in public, like Nick from Baked Design who started with a $9 design kit and now sells $9k/mo design subscriptions at $1M ARR.

By stacking offers, you position yourself as a committed partner in your client's long-term success.

Lastly, I want to address a common objection:

"My customers can't afford $2k/month."

But consider this: most people are reading your site on their $3000 MacBook or $1000 iPhone.

It's not that they lack the funds, it's more likely that your service isn't meeting their expectations.

Talk to them to discover the irresistible offer they'll gladly pay for.

Back