Validating first idea: job board for companies hiring Software Engineers from the Middle East

graceyb1

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on Reddit 👋😁

I’m a Software Engineer from the Middle East, early in my career. I’ve been struggling to find a good job, the local market is bad, and I know a few friends who landed remote jobs in Europe and UAE, but they are rare and it’s very difficult. I believe there is a pool of good talent here, and all the available online job boards haven’t been satisfying for me. I felt overlooked, and I felt like I wasted my time on them. If there was only a place where I can go that was specific to my case.

My idea is simple.
To make an online job board for companies that want to hire engineers specifically from the Middle East. I’d be a place where both international companies and developers residing in the Middle East would go to post/search for jobs. I believe there is a cost advantage for companies. They can get great talent for fraction of the cost (if the work is remote). That would basically help open up our talent pool to the world.

What do you think?
I’d love to reach out to HRs and companies to validate this idea. But I’m not sure how.

Or should I start building this right now?
Since I’m very new to all this, I’d love some advice.

I’d also love to hear why this is not a good idea, if you think that’s the case.

Thank you

@graceyb1 I don't think there's much money in job boards from what I gather. Someone I know has been exploring this space and it really doesn't pan out.

Very transient space with no customer loyalty, hard to monetise.

I think it only works if you've already got an existing audience and you can advertise them, or spend tons of money building some kind of brand or audience.

@tomtresh A job board can print out tons of money, but it’s one of those markets where the biggest players controls the majority of the market.

So if you’re planning to create just another generalist job board, you’re dead even before starting.

Key is controlling a very specific niche where you can charge a lot for each lead.