We did it. First big painting job, full house in 3 days. Got a painful customer. Are customers this bad, usually

liamdude5

So, long story short, we just painted our first house, 4 bedrooms, 3 living rooms and a hallway w staircase in 3 days. We had a team of 3 in the first two days and a team of 5 on the last day. I think that we did a very good job, the place was spotless, and the painting job was great. What brings me here is really to talk about this customer, that was a very singular to say the least. Every day, before starting the day, she would start by pointing something that ,according to her, was done wrong, like saying that we did not finish a room or that some caulk was missing on a door jam ( we were still working, leave us alone). On top of that,she would always say that we painted something that we shouldn't like the window casings, while painting the walls. Which is not honest. The casing was already painted ( bad previous painting job) with a color different than the one we were using ( antique white). At certain point, last day, I had to tell her to leave us alone and that we would finish that last day as agreed upon.. She is now saying that is going to call us with a list she is putting together of any spots that need touch up, whenever she sees it, eventually. Is this a fucked up or tipical customer? One last thing, before we left the site today.. She started arguing that we painted one panel of the three panel door, which we did not. And she is now demanding that we paint the whole door for free.... unbelieve bit h...

@liamdude5 All you need to do is hold up your end of the contract and tell the customer everything else is out of scope and you would be happy to write up a new proposal for the extra work. Make sure it's an expensive one.

Don't start doing work for free because it will never end. She knows you're new and is taking advantage.

Also, next time, take pictures before you start.

@liamdude5 You are getting too personally invested and are coming across bitter. Based on your reactions and how you are speaking of your customers I’d never do business with you. It’s a business, keep it professional, assume the best, set boundaries, and use the other advice. Right now you are getting worked up and speaking about your customers unprofessionally. Your reactions aren’t healthy and will cause you stress and anxiety. It’s not worth it. You’ll have customers like that, do you best, take your photos, set your scope, charge more when they want extra, fix any real mistakes, and move on when you are done.

@liamdude5 Do what my painter did — he scheduled to see me again one week later, and anything reasonable I was able to spot in that time frame, he addressed it when he showed up that day. Anything after that was no longer addressable.

It gave me a chance to really review the home and point out some easy fixes that he/his crew missed: stairway/banister trim was crooked on one side, easy fix; one of the motion sensors was cracked during removal/installation, replaced with a similar one from HD that wasn’t expensive, easy fix; and cleanup issues (bunch of debris scattered near exterior of home, as he redid some trim work for me too), easy fix.

In my opinion, he still didn’t do the best of jobs, but his price was 70% of what others quoted so it was par for the course. I really respected him giving me time to review the home in detail, and he was fair about fixing most of what I brought up. There was one concern he didn’t address, but it must have not mattered much, because I can’t remember it for the life of me.