what i learned going from 0 to 600+ users in six week

theleapofaith

A few months ago, I participated in a hackathon with 7,500 projects and a grand prize of $100K. I landed in the top 8 -- missing the windfall by a hair.

I built a way to learn languages while watching TV, a chrome extension called duotok. I got over 600 users in 6 weeks.

I learned a lot a long the way. These were my five biggest mistakes:
  1. There is no perfect idea, so don’t overthink it. Great ideas are forged not created
  2. Find where my potential users live, and befriend them. What public/online spaces do my target users gather in? I tried to find users by posting demos generally on Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram, but that’s like screaming in the middle of the streets to get people to care.
  3. Build and launch a prototype in less than a week. With tools like Protopie and Figma, it’s possible to get meaningful feedback without writing a single line of code. I made 4 prototypes before writing a single line of code, each drastically pivoting the product
  4. After launching a v1: build → launch → learn → iterate. repeat. With the sole intent of increasing user count and revenue. Those are the only two metrics that matter
  5. Building and marketing go hand-in-hand, don’t fall into the builder’s trap.
I wrote more about what I learned in detail here: https://janvikalra.substack.com/p/going-from-zero-to-600-users

Sharing in case this helps anyone else on their journey :)

@theleapofaith Build and launch a prototype in less than a week. I don’t agree with that. There’s too much stress and crap loaded into that one statement. It something I see people just through out when they give SaaS advice. While I agree you shouldn't spend too much time building, my recommendation is move at your pace but validate first.