What P.O.D. Marketplace Should I Direct People to Buy Designs?

ajharmon89

*Sorry about the rant. FYI, an aspect of this regards Redbubble’s new tier system. I know P.O.D. circles have talked ad nauseam about this, so just a heads up if you are tired of this conversation.

I have been making a lot of art and been uploading designs to a handful of P.O.D. marketplaces, but mostly to Redbubble. My plan was to build up a lot of artwork and eventually start to post it consistently on social media accounts (Instagram, Facebook, etc) and direct followers to Redbubble to purchase products. While I have also uploaded my artwork to other P.O.D. marketplaces for whatever extra exposure they can provide, my focus has always been Redbubble. My plan was to use Redbubble as my main P.O.D. account that I would promote on social media to sell stuff.

Given the giant shift that Redbubble has made with their tier system, I don’t know if I want to use it as my main P.O.D. account that I would direct people to. Honestly, if Redbubble looks like this now, what will it look like in 2-3 years? Are they just going to completely implode? Having read the new sche - er um….system, your “margin” is a joke after Redbubble takes a big chunk of it. I think the system was fair before as they owned the product, dealt with shipping and have to put up with customer service, etc. But now that they dip into your margin after the fact makes it really difficult for me to want to send people in their direction. Artists make very little with this new agreement and the only solution with Redbubble is to raise my margin. The problem is, is that these products are already way overpriced in the first place.

The big upshot to Redbubble is their search engine and organic traffic. Your designs can be found in their search and people can randomly come upon your designs and hopefully buy stuff, not just people you directed there. There is the also the “hope”, however realistic it is or not, of becoming a big artist on Redbubble. Every time a design is purchased, the design ranks higher in the search. Every time you make a sale, the algorithm pushes you more. The more active you are in uploading new designs, the more views your products receive. Btw, I have no idea how Redbubble’s algorithm works, so take what I just said with a big grain of salt, but you get the gist of what I’m saying.

(Giant side note, I’ve also bought a handful of Redbubble products and they were fine. Stickers were good, apron quality and print were solid, the t-shirt I bought was passable but wanted a better print and the mug I got was not good. The mug itself was solid, but my design completely wore off after cleaning the dishes a couple of times and thus why I don’t offer them in my store. Anyways, Redbubble seems mostly to be “fine” from my perspective, but a mixed bag quality wise. I know a lot of these companies are mixed, but if anyone has any idea if one is ahead in quality, let me know. Quality is a deciding factor.)

Anyways, a lot of these companies are making big changes and I’m at a loss as to where I should direct people to purchase products. I’m just curious what people are thinking about this subject and where you plan to sell your products and why. Any thoughts on this are much appreciated, thanks ( =

Back