When a tech strategy breaks your business

temre

Once business owners start to see the real impact of IT strategy development on competitors, they rush into strategizing as well. But instead of capitalizing on a killer technology strategy, they end up with weak innovation and procedural problems. No matter how hard they try, they fail to get actionable results. How’s that?

Digital transformation is notoriously difficult as it interferes with every single aspect of business operations. It is not about tech as such; it is about business-supporting initiatives powered by tech. This brings us to the list of tech strategy don’ts.

Don’t give first priority to tech. When business owners get to grips with technology strategic planning, they focus on technology instead of the specific challenges their company faces. The choice of a tech stack should be centered around the problem that needs to be solved — it’s critical. Otherwise, the strategy will be ineffective.

Don’t follow the lead. If your competitors use a select set of technologies, it doesn’t necessarily mean that you need them too. These technologies may go well together in the context of the competitor’s unique internal processes and may fail to bring the expected results in your case.

Don’t bet big. Digital transformation takes time and money. Aggressive strategies can play a bad trick on your business as they imply irrevocable disruption of long-standing processes. Changes are always accompanied by challenges; and big changes — by big challenges, which most of the companies can’t afford. So, you’d better start small.

Don’t leave it all to tech. Digital solutions are not the driving force of business transformation. People operating these solutions are. For an IT strategy plan to be effective, everyone on the team needs to understand its impact and commit to it, leaving behind the traditional ways of doing things.

Don’t take the DIY approach — unless you are a business strategist who also knows tech well. Otherwise, you will end up investing in ‘shiny new’ tech that adds limited or no value to your business. In addition to irrelevant enhancements, you also risk making band-aid patches, and not a sustainable cohesive transformation.

@temre This is actually great, I have been in the tech startup world for the last decade, and I can vouch for that many chase 'New and Shiny' thing forgetting their actual utility.

This good overview of IT strategies to be made as per own product/services and focusing on solving actual on-ground problems rather than trying to out compete the competition with gimmicks

@verygrateful
This is actually great, I have been in the tech startup world for the last decade, and I can vouch for that many chase 'New and Shiny' thing forgetting their actual utility.

This good overview of IT strategies to be made as per own product/services and focusing on solving actual on-ground problems rather than trying to out compete the competition with gimmicks

Hi, I'm glad you liked my post. I took this information from an article https://cxdojo.com/dos-donts-of-technology-strategy, here you can find out how a technology strategy can help business and much more:)