Why don’t incubators/accelerators provide technical assistance?

karubin

We work extensively with startups and over last 4 years, we have helped startups build MVPs, launch the product, provided 24 X 7 support and even helped them build their own teams.

Majority of the startups were bootstrapped or had investors within the known circle. The remaining few were supported by incubators or accelerators.

Incubator: A business incubator in business speak is a company that helps new and startup companies to develop by providing services such as management training or office space. (Source: Wikipedia).

Accelerator: Seed accelerators, also known as startup accelerators, are fixed-term, cohort-based programs, that include mentorship and educational components and culminate in a public pitch event or demo day. (Source: Wikipedia).

I am yet to come across an incubator or an accelerator which provides technical(Software Engineering in particular) assistance? Is it assumed that the founding team has the required technical know-how to implement their idea or they would find someone who does?

These “Companies” or “Programs” provide almost all the resources in terms of funding, mentoring and even office space, but technical support.

Can there not be much larger value addition if they do so? They can help the startups reach a stage where it gets the required traction and at that point in time help build it its own technical team. This would not only help the startup optimize the limited funds, at a later stage it would be easier to attract better talent as the startups already has started generating revenue.

Your thoughts?

@karubin I've wondered the same thing and watched various teams in incubators struggle to find CTO's - the business guys I mean. Then learning from the mistakes of previous teams, where they hire from etc...

Seems a bit nuts to me.

Also, what tech works well and what doesn't.

Nuts

@karubin Because without a tech cofounder or early stage team member, a tech venture won't thrive. Contractors are too expensive to build a pre revenue tech product in nearly all cases and even if they weren't, it takes a founder with a serious tech savvy to properly create and scope a tech project.

@johnpereless The problem you stated is exactly what we are trying to solve. A team which is focussed at building the software for them and is also committed to help the startup build their in-house team at the right time can really make a lot of difference. A team that acts as facilitators or as a Booster Team which disengages when the time comes.

@karubin But I think most ventures without serious expertise in the sector they work in will fail. Tech ventures need tech founders, just as ventures working in education/finance/health need founders with direct relevant experience if those sectors. If the tech is peripheral to the venture, just a means to an end, then perhaps the venture can grow with support. But for any venture delivering a product with tech at the core, tech expertise is crucial.

@johnpereless I completely agree. The founders need domain expertise.

So for a startup which is building an AI based medical system, there is no way you can outsource. At the same time, it is obvious that only people with deep knowledge in AI and medical field can come up with such an idea.

You can outsource only if you can easily and quickly educate the "outsourced team" about your domain. So typically applications like e-commerce platforms, social networks, dating sites, booking sites etc. can be easily outsourced.

@karubin I think those examples - social media, bookings, ecommerce - are so flooded already with excellent products that anyone hoping to steal market share also needs tech expertise in the team.

Other ventures whose website/tech aspect isn't as critical, who can get away with less innovative tech - could get away with outsourcing the development.

@karubin We provide that; go check out the Launchpeer Accelerator.

300 Hours of free software development, among the other standard things many accelerators offer.

First Cohort was announced a couple days ago, and we plan on opening up applications for Cohort 2 in early May and accept 3 teams.