Why I Bought a Lawn Care Site: The Story, Deal, and Plans for the Future

lamarcook

I get asked all the time for advice on how to buy businesses.

Last week, we acquired lawncareplanner.com from .

You’re probably wondering wtf? Why would you buy that?

Let me explain.

I usually need multiple reasons to act on something.

At the beginning of March, Josh posted a list of projects he was looking to sell, Lawn Care Planner being one of them. It was interesting to me when he first bought it and it is still interesting to me now, so I reached out to try to make a deal. I wasn’t thrilled with the numbers and likely got busy so I forgot about it.

Until two weeks ago…

I was at a friend's house during his wife’s baby shower.

A bunch of dudes talking random nonsense while we waited to go pick up our better halves from the shower.

My friend started mentioning all the work he had been doing to his lawn.
  • Fertilizing
  • Aerating
  • Dethatching
The list goes on and on.

I immediately thought about Lawn Care Planner…

Next, my mind wandered to my childhood.

I remembered how obsessed my father was with maintaining the grass surrounding our house.

For half the year, he’d come home from his corporate job at 5 pm.

We’d eat dinner as a family…

And he’d immediately be outside mowing the lawn and watering it.

Growing up I thought this was ridiculous and would often make fun of him.

I’m pretty sure even my friends gave him shit.

At times I would tell him our lawn looked better than the grass at Yankee Stadium.

Are you getting it yet?

For about two years now, I’ve privately discussed my desire to share more.

Unfortunately, my imposter syndrome is pretty strong and so I’ve always shied away from it.

Until now.

The plan is to use this tiny acquisition as a launching pad for sharing more.

So here are the details of the deal structure, our goals, and how we plan to approach this.

We purchased the business for $10,000.

12 monthly installments at 5% APY.

We effectively bought the business for $855.56.

I’ve loaded up a bank account with the $10K and I’ve already scheduled the remaining 11 wires.

The rules…

We can’t add to the original $10,000. So at minimum, we need to monetize the site enough to cover the interest.

Our goal is to start generating enough revenue to service the monthly debt obligations as quickly as possible so we can allocate the remaining capital to growth.

As far as our plans for growth?

That’s a post for another day.

@phphavok Cool that you know the site! I'm not sure why you think it will be clogged with ads. We haven't changed anything about it yet, and we're still figuring out the plans. Do you have any feedback to improve it as a regular user?

@lamarcook Right below you mention affiliate links and ads.

I would just ask gpt for this advice fyi

If I asked it for a calendar and response to heat events it would give it.

User

It's may 16th in southern Ontario, we have a lawn with Lush green grass and a few small missing patches, about 20. Can you very concisely the 5 next things we should do to ensure the lawn flourishes?

Response...
  1. Aerate: Perform core aeration to improve soil compaction, enhancing water and nutrient absorption.
  2. Overseed: Spread grass seed over the existing lawn, focusing on bare patches, to promote dense growth.
  3. Fertilize: Apply a balanced fertilizer to provide essential nutrients and encourage healthy growth.
  4. Water: Ensure consistent watering, especially in the mornings, to keep the soil moist and support new seed growth.
  5. Mow Properly: Keep the grass at an optimal height (about 3 inches), mowing regularly but not too short to promote strong root development.

@lamarcook You could think about building it out to also help small lawn care services. It’s an industry that a lot of people jump into as a way to have their own business and you could be the resource for them to use in scheduling and planning their business. Then you help the everyday person with questions and plans and you have a subscription model for businesses to help get their small business going and stay organized. Much less friction to sell subscriptions to businesses than regular people. And leaving it free to people helps drive traffic.

@j2911 Yes I do like this idea. Selling into SMBs is historically difficult though, but I think there is a way to do it that will make it effortless. Do you have experience in this area yourself?

@lamarcook No experience myself with selling to SMB, just had a business for a few years selling products on a subscription basis to pet owners. It was pretty difficult. But selling to SMB’s has the advantage of being a tax deduction for them (since it’s a business expense) where as it’s just money out of pocket for regular people if you were to put anything behind a paywall.

Also being that it’s a low overhead business you can offer a free first Qtr or first month, whatever you are comfortable with. Make it the easiest thing in the world to start trying your service and if they can make money before they have to pay you, they will have no problem paying you to keep making money. So you’ll need to increase marketing budget to get the SMB leads. But remove as much friction as possible to use your services that help them and they won’t have any reason to leave

@j2911 Appreciate you taking the time to provide your point of view. It's along the lines of something I've considered myself. Continue to provide the plans for free, and on the page where the plan gets displayed, sell the leads to local providers from their local area.

@lamarcook I’m no expert, but it seems like a possible opportunity to build it out as a resource for info to drive traffic to the site. Once you build a following, set it up to sell leads. Think of a Lending Tree scenario.