Will this intro video work for YC application instead of the format they request?

hodor

Hi all,

I built a product intro video using Canva. Took me a couple of hours. I like what pump.co (a YC startup) did with their intro video. So, followed a similar format.

Please view the video once (just 54 seconds) and share your feedback. Happy to take you through how I built it.

Question: Will this video fly with YC application? The last 2 videos that we uploaded were our faces and it did not work out. :)

Video -

Wesbite - www.lyzr.ai

DM me for the original canva file. You can modify it for your product/startup intro.

Cheers

@hodor It's a good video, but the reason why they ask for human intro videos is because they want to get to know the founders. It's like a "vibe check" and also a way to explain the product that you are so passionate about. What you just showed is more like a "sub-demo" or a marketing video, which they always say that they do not like.

Also, there is nothing wrong with your face that would make YC not pick you. Infact, not creating a founder video will only hurt your application more.

@hodor Cool video 💯

I get you're tired of retaking the personal video. Just try again, I mean this is YC we're talking about. If it's perfect, it'll look too rehearsed anyway.

Still a cool video you made. I see it's on your website - they'll see it, don't worry.

...trust the process.

@hodor They really don’t like fancy stuff in intro videos. Just go with your face. We submitted a webcam recorded video (zoom call) with the introduction for each founder and that was enough

@hodor genuinely saying, don't put this video forward - they probably won't like it. they like to see the human / founder element behind the startup/technology/product, so don't worry too much about not looking like brad pitt : - )

Makes sense. Just that, we are tired of reshooting a video and thought of taking a different approach.😁

Back