Word of mouth tactics and examples you should check out

jenny_8675309

Let’s talk about Word Of Mouth (WOM) for a minute.

I’ve compiled some great WOM tactics and examples for you.

By the way, WOM is different from referral tactics (which imply a transaction: financial, gift,…).

WOM tactics are about giving people:

“A reason to talk about your stuff, and make it easier for that conversation to take place”

- Andy Sernovitz.

1/ The picture​

The oldest WOM tactic in the book: the picture.

You go somewhere. You take a picture or a picture is taken of you.

That’s a WOM tactic.

Your picture is going to generate conversations, whether it’s posted or framed for the living room.

Left: Carli Paris, a hairdresser always takes an HD picture of every client free of charge.

Right: Disney does the same but makes you pay for it! :)

SEE IMAGE

2/ Extra customer service​

It’s the little things that show if a company cares.

Left: The W Hotel New York changes the elevator carpet 3 times a day. Who cares? No one. It’s just a story to bring home.

Right: Leaving the German winter for a sunnier place? Frankfurt airport checks in your big winter coat, so you don’t have to carry it around on the beach.

SEE IMAGE

3/ The cause​

Nothing is better than backing a cause to generate WOM.

People talk about companies that do good.

Why?

It reflects well on them. It shows they care too.

Left: Westin Mission Hills Hotel works with local dog shelters and features dogs in the lobby for adoption. Guests can take them for a walk and if they match they can take them home. Now, who wouldn’t talk about this?!

Right: Tajinebanane, a clothing brand for new moms, backs the right to breastfeed “anytime, anywhere”. The result? A huge stream of user-generated photos of moms who share that same opinion & 118k followers.

SEE IMAGE

4/ The packaging​

Your packaging can be an annoying thing to get rid of immediately.

It can also be something customers talk about.

Left: You know that little label you get on every disposable tea bag? Yogi Tea, a German brand, puts an inspiring quote on every label. You can’t help reading that quote and talking about it with whoever you’re drinking tea with. I know - I do it all the time…

Right: A grenade-shaped supplement container does not go unnoticed in your kitchen. Grenade Fitness makes sure everyone sees and talks about their packaging.

SEE IMAGE

5/ Say thank you​

Saying thank you can go a long way.

DavidsTea sent a personalized email to all their client base for the company’s anniversary. A bit of humor, showing gratitude is nothing but pure value.

SEE IMAGE

6/ Limited-edition WTF products​

If you’re a brand fan, and a limited-edition product comes up - you’re gonna talk about it with your friends.

Left: Supreme is very good at this. It is a clothing brand, but they recently released a brick. It’s $200. Search for #supremebrick. It’s all over the web. People posing with a brick...

Right: Burger King Japan made their sandwiches black, not for the taste but just for starting conversations.

SEE IMAGE

7/ The review​

Ask for a review if you want customers to drop one.

Ask about their overall experience, not just the product.

Simple. Like Casper over here.

SEE IMAGE

8/ The humble brag​

Give your customers a reason to brag, an accomplishment to share. In this example, Slideshare congratulates you for featuring your slides on their homepage.

SEE IMAGE

9/ A Unique experience​

There is nothing better than showing your customers something they’ve never seen before.

Left: La Boucherie is a high-end steak restaurant in LA, which offers a knife menu, so you can cut your steak with style.

Right: The Magic Castle Hotel has a popsicle hotline. Just call the number and the staff brings a free popsicle.

SEE IMAGE

---------------------------------

That’s it for me! Special thanks to Talktrigger, and Wordofmouth dot org where some of these examples come from.

If you liked this piece, sign up for our newsletter. Short and sweet marketing tips 2x a month.

@jenny_8675309 I like the content and don’t mind the shameless plug for the newsletter. I’d recommend asking for less sign-up info though. I almost bounced when the info form opened up and I believe many other es feel the same way.

@annaliseh You're absolutely right. We're actually removing all that extra info request on our new website launching in a couple of weeks. Thanks for signing up if you did! And thanks for the recommendation, really appreciated!

@jenny_8675309 Both offline & online can be a game changer,

Offline we would run a promotion for a local non affiliated business just when a customer bought a higher end package.. kind of like a added bonus .. then they'd always tell there friends all about where there going and why... pretty sweet as customers just got your service you give them a x amount gift card for a local service/restaurant they can use immediately.. guaranteed to be a conversation had with their friends/family etc. on how that got the gift card/ why their going there..

For online we only recently started using software with our business to automate our online word of mouth.. basically automates customer feedback and getting reviews from them which has been huge time saver & we've now 2x the amount of reviews in about 5 weeks compared to over a year.

These two methods has saved our business a lot in paid advertising / or expensive SEO been pretty solid booked calendar

Back