Working on a custom train throttle controller

robertbelmes

I'm working on a USB train throttle controller as a side-project. It's inspired by the Densha de Go! PS1 controller, but I'm trying to make a higher-quality version with better movements.

I had the mechanical components designed on Fiverr, the total cost was around $900 CAD for the Solidworks design including extra revisions.

I did the electrical schematic design myself (my background is electrical engineering) and I handed it over to someone on Fiverr to complete the PCB layout.

The PCB layout cost around $1000 CAD.

I got a 3D print from two different sellers on Fiverr, one charging about $80 and another charging about $170 CAD. The cheaper one was actually better (better tolerances/less visible plastic lines). The test fit worked out well and I didn't discover any major issues.

I got quotes for CNC fabrication in Canada and China. Quotes from Canada were going to be over $3500 CAD for fabrication. The quotes from China were a bit less, but not much. Again I went to Fiverr and ended up finding two sellers, one who fabricated it for $560 CAD, and another who did it for $1300 CAD.

Fabrication has just completed and is being shipped. Pictures:

From the pictures, it looks like the quality from the CNC will be more than suitable.

@robertbelmes making a custom train throttle controller is pretty cool. and nice mix of skills there, from design to PCB and 3d printing.

interesting how the cheaper print worked out better. keeping costs down is always a win.

the pics look great, quality seems on point. how's putting it all together going? any unexpected stuff happening?

@zertey I find this happens with cost all the time on Fiverr - sellers don't necessarily price themselves or even advertise themselves very well, so the best approach can be the shotgun approach to find someone good at the start.

It's in the mail, I'm looking forward to putting it together but it's not in my hands yet. The biggest remaining risk is probably firmware; I think I can get it to be recognized as a USB-HID joystick but it looks like it probably won't work with most train simulators without additional work.

@marcel_prix The short answer: this is a controller for train simulation games, or for model trains.

The long answer: I work for a business that develops train simulation software for testing purposes, not for gaming purposes. We occasionally have a need to 'drive' a train through a location. It's certainly possible to do this using a mouse or an XBox controller, but for a professional environment, we want to avoid feeling too much like a video-game. This made me want a high-quality USB train throttle made from metal that feels like something you'd find in a real train, for stuff like customer demos.

I think there might be a small market for gamers who want a high-quality but small throttle controller. There's already one on the market which is quite large (keyboard-sized) and I wouldn't buy one myself because of the desk real-estate. However, I would keep a 10cm throttle controller if it was occasionally useful.