You need to do lifetime deals if you're just starting out

miles77

A lot of founders are anti-lifetime deals.

They don't think it's a sustainable business model, or their egos are too big to "support a bunch of non-paying users for life."

But here's the thing: lifetime deals (LTD) is not a business model.

Rather it's a funding model.

LTD is a funding model, not a business model​

Your customers pay upfront for your software in its nascent state because they want to invest in you and your product.

They give you cash upfront and ample feedback to get you to product-market fit.

In return, you'll take care of them for the lifetime of your company.

That's it, that's the model.

Is it a good funding model?​

Hell yeah, it gives you badly-needed liquidity upfront so you can invest in product development.

It's superior to investor funding because:
  1. You keep 100% equity (no parasites riding your coattails); and
  2. Their feedback is actually relevant, since they're your users/customers.
Indies who are stubborn about LTD don't get very far in their bootstrapping.

You have to be pragmatic if you want to live to fight another day.

Get cash upfront whatever way you can, ideally without investors.

And revenue is the best funding source (even LTD revenue) because it validates your offer.

What's the downside of LTD?​

Well you're "on the hook" for the rest of your life supporting a bunch of non-paying users.

But is that such a bad thing?

Don't be ungrateful, these are the people who believed in you and paid upfront for an LTD when your app was total shite.

Here are 4 things to keep in mind:
  1. The marginal cost of serving each LTD user is near-zero. Your servers are running anyway, you're paying for hosting regardless.
  2. Use churn is very high in LTD users. When people aren't paying monthly, there's no urgency to use it. So all the fears about LTD users overloading support are overblown.
  3. Don't forget LTD users have high net promoter score -- these are the people who will become your best advocates, your biggest affiliates, they write reviews, make videos, and spread the word about you.
  4. If your product has baked-in viral loop, these LTD users are free marketers for you, similar to freemium users, except they're actually paying for it.

Pour conclure​

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see any downside of doing an LTD as a funding model at all.

I've debunked every single criticism levelled against LTD.

And it's untrue that one-time payments don't have repeatability.

Don't forget the VAST majority of businesses in the world rely on one-time payments.

You can use it as a funding model, a business model, or both.

Don't worry about LTD cannibalizing your company valuation and all these other pie-in-the-sky things, survive first.

Then cross that bridge when you get there in the future.
If you enjoyed this post, consider subscribing to my newsletter.

I send email once/week, and they're short (1-min reads).

Topic is "my most salient learning point in entrepreneurship of the week." 👇

https://birdsend.page/forms/9255/Mw7NC0sReJ

You may also keep in touch with me on X: https://twitter.com/therealjayber

I'm also currently running a LTD promotion for my product Zylvie, here:

https://zylvie.com/deals/p/kenmoo

@miles77 In my eyes, LTDs should cover the expenses the users will make for the next 12-24 months so at worst you're at net 0(or maybe slightly below 0 but not more than half month worth of salary).

Also, if the dev find a way to have 0 or very low cost of managing/sustaining things, then LTD is literally free money in the bag. Instead 1year+ revenue just like that and you dont have to keep the users hooked for 10+ months to receive the same amount.

And just as you said, early LTD users are the most important as they're the ones validating your idea, help with improvement/polishing(early access, testing, bug reports, suggestions, etc) and will probably be the most important asset for the first year anyway.

As someone who just finished a feature and planning to release it as a SaaS + LTD option, i genuinely hope to get as many LTDs as possible initially 😂

@miles77 Thanks for sharing! I've been on the fence about LTD my B2C product I've been working on and I think you answered most of the objections I had in my head. I think I'm going to do it - great post!

@miles77 Having run one SaaS company for 1.5 years, LTD is a very good idea. Deals closes sooner, money hits the account sooner, there is less distraction due to feature requests and no fear of churn. In the start, you are looking for logos and money. But be wary of dealing with big-ticket clients, they will screw your product roadmap. My company had to shut down because of this reason.

@themagicman
But be wary of dealing with big-ticket clients, they will screw your product roadmap.

Very true.

I can imagine how demanding they can be and how far they would force you to stray from your original roadmap just to serve them specifically.

@miles77 Every SaaS entrepreuner should understand a few key metrics and their relations... Let's talk about a few of them:
  • Churn (customer, revenue)
  • ARPU & ARPPU
  • LTV aka Customer lifetime value (calculated from ARPU/ARPPU and Churn)
  • CAC aka Customer acquisition cost
  • COGS aka Cost of goods and services
Let's assume that your business is viable and thus LTV > CAC + COGS. As long as your LTD > LTV, you are, on average, earning more with the lifetime deal.

However...

You can't reasonably estimate LTV in early stages. And, you want to grow LTV over time by maintaining high retention and increasing ARPU/ARPPU (with upselling, rising prices, etc.).

So... do your math before considering LTD...