£1k for a logo design?

@worldtraveler Why does the coca cola logo work for them? Why is that design good for a company that is primarily known for cola?

Or why is the Chase logo good for them? Why didn't they decide on something like the Gymshark logo or Nike logo for Chase? Or why not use something like the Microsoft logo for Chase?

This is the part I'm trying to better learn and understand. What makes a specific design pair well with a specific type of brand/company.

@joshlemm It's hard to dive into the mind of a specific designer or team of designers while they were working on concepts for say, the chase bank logo. Chermayeff&Geismar designed that logo. A lot of it has to do with their cultural background, the school they went to (this was much more important back in the 20's-60's), the company they are designing for (often a lot of research goes into a logo design for a large brand) and their general philosophy on design. Many of the most iconic logos were created by designers that had very strong opinions on what made great design. Someone like Massimo Vignelli believed you only needed 5-7 typefaces that you should use and that anything extraneous in a design he considered decoration and not needed.

If you are trying to boil all designs down to an exact science then you won't find that answer. There are many variables which I discussed above that go into why a designer designs a specific logo. There are a few key pillars that go into most good logo designs and this video may be what you are looking for to help you understand more along the lines of what makes a great logo.

@gnx1987 I've paid for an expensive logo once, a cheap logo a few times and tried to create my own a couple of times. All I can say is no one got close to the logo done by someone that knows what they're doing and for us, it was well worth the money.

@gnx1987 Gah the bad advice in this thread.

Most logos from fiverr will be bad. Not just in terms of brand identity, but in all of the other nuances such as
  • getting a proper brand guide
  • getting the proper format types
  • getting a logo that translates well to print, web, and fabric (basically, one that looks good in multiple scales and mediums)
The main problem I see is that you’re trying to make a high end deal work but are likely going to regret it because you’re in no man’s man. One concept means the odds are low you’ll love it, and you won’t be able to ask much more of him.

I would either shell out the money for a good logo with multiple concepts and revisions or do something like 99 designs. In your case, I’d likely do the former and then once I’ve got a bit of traction and revenue, refresh the brand.

@gnx1987 Design is very much a you get what you pay for business. I'd suggest you keep looking for a designer. While I'm sure the 4k/1k designer would be good...I'd be skeptical with going with the 1 concept round. The designer won't be happy because they are discounting their prices. You will feel pressured to take whatever they give you and may not end up happy with it. There are lots of designers that can work within the 1000k range that are skilled and will work with you to get the design that you want.

@gnx1987 Frankly for someone who has clients of that caliber, 1k is a hell of a deal. If you go with someone who's not your favorite, doesn't inspire you, and ends up not helping you make money, you're going to get another brand redesign anyway. So I would invest in the one you feel fits you best - it'll bring you the greatest ROI.

@gnx1987 As someone running a web agency, and also offering graphic and logo design, I would suggest you go for a logo design based on your initial business investment. The logo is an important part of the brand identity, but you don't need to invest all your money into the logo itself.

Logo, web and other collaterals, unless there are the only investments, should be not more than 10% of your investment. Keep the rest for other expenses.

If you really want an awesome logo that costs ££££, let your business earn it.

Of course, one thing to consider is the car wrapping. If you are doing it, then you might want to invest a bit more in logo so that you don't have to change it soon.

@gnx1987 If you don't want basic stuff that you can make on canva, that's what it costs. You're paying for the expertise that gets the ad done quickly and nicely, not for the time it takes to do it. You wouldn't cheapen your own rates because someone said to you that doggy daycare is easy cause they assume you just get to play with puppies all day

@gnx1987 “Can” you get it cheaper - of course

Will the quality be there? Will you have full rights to the images? Will they provide native vector files in multiple platforms? Sometimes…

I’ve had great luck on fiverr - you’re running a small dog pet sitting shop - even $500 is a bit steep for the logo.

If you know how to screen out the bad actors, you’ll get a perfectly fine logo on fiverr for $25-150

If you want slightly higher end, upwork

@marilynliddell Fiverr is one of my go to sources for artwork. You can get a great quality logo for under $500 but you have to be absolutely clear articulating your vision and super diligent when vetting designers.

@gnx1987 Maybe I'm wrong here but this is a dog daycare not a high fashion brand with venture capital and a huge marketing budget behind it. I really don't think an expensive logo is what will make your business grow. Professional and neat yes, but if doesn't need to be world class. If you ever get to the point of being extremely successful and considering franchising, maybe then you can pay for a comprehensive rebrand which will help to attract investors.

For now, just being reliable and doing some effective local marketing will result in more revenue. Put that £1000 towards advertising. People say "start as you mean to go on" and I have done well by starting by not spunking money on unnecessary things that aren't operationally critical.

@gnx1987 I understand that you're concerned about your budget, but investing in a high-quality logo can have a significant impact on your business's image. In a competitive industry like yours, having a unique and professional logo on your dog vans can set you apart. The artist you've found has an impressive portfolio, and while £1k may seem like more than you initially planned, it could be a worthwhile investment. With his expertise, you're likely to get a logo that truly represents your business and catches people's attention. Think of it as a long-term investment in your brand's success. Additionally, if you have the funds available and can expense them, it's a smart move. A strong brand identity can pay off in the long run by attracting more customers and building a great reputation. Still, there are a lot of freelancers with goofy portfolios who don't charge much; that could be an option too! Good luck with your decision, and I hope this helps!

@gnx1987
is £1k a silly amount of money for a dog daycare business?

Yes, for a brand-new business. Spend the money on getting your name out there. You can always get a better logo later when the business has the budget. Until then, something like logoai.com or fiverr will serve your needs just fine at a tiny fraction of the price. I did this in about eight seconds on logoai, you can get something there to tide you over.

@gnx1987 If you are looking for a lot of options at the most affordable price I'd recommend changing out 99designs or Hatchwise (Hatchwise is a lot cheaper than 99designs). They both allow you to run a contest and see 100s of options before selecting your design (and with Hatchwise, as least) you get unlimited revisions.

Back