15 year old developing a product

oludodun

Hi there, I’m a 15 year old from Australia and want to develop my own product. I currently run a website that has blog posts on it that’s all about chicken keeping and gardening (basically perma culture) I’ve noticed a gap in the market, and that’s quality flat packed chicken cages that you can buy online. They’re all wood and disintegrate in the sun of Australia within 6 months.

So I’ve decided to develop my own chicken cage. I have about $2,875 to my name. I’m pretty decent at designing stuff. (It’s what I’ve done for fun for pretty well my whole life.)

My main question really is I obviously need a lot more money to put this plan into play. How much money do you think I’d need? Also how can I make this money? Should I just work a bunch of side hustles to allow me to save some cash?

I’ve been told that I should focus on side hustles rather than going down the route of running a serious business. Truth is I don’t want to be following all these stupid Tik tok side hustles that provide 0 value to people like drop shipping. Google and social media is not the best at recommending side hustles since it all states obvious stuff.

I’ve got access to a 3d printer, I’m decent at graphic design, I’m a music student. Like I previously mentioned, I write my own blog posts, I also run my own social media account for my website so that could be a skill too. I made the money I now have mostly from breeding chickens so I’ve got an incubator if that’s a possibility? (Just for some background info on my experience and skills)

So yeah any advice would be appreciated on saving money for this project.

Also I have an engineer father who’d be happy to help me with the technical design side. My mum and dad own a fabrication business, so it’s always a possibility to have one of their employees prototype it for me. I’d obviously pay for the costs of the prototype (I’m not silver spooned lol)

@oludodun You sound like you got a good head on your shoulders for a 15 year old. Have you considered signing up on Fiverr and making money as a 3d designer? You can create some cash flow there and save up to launch your buisness. That's my 2cents

@acharan12 Hi, thanks for your message. I did think about that, buttttttt I don’t think I’m that good. Definitely an idea but might not my first preference to do.

@oludodun Design it before you worry about the money. Once you design it, have 3d printed it and have gotten it to where you want it to be as a production unit, then get involved in raising money for it. Someone will help any ambitious teenager who has proven they have executed on an idea, other than simply talking about it.

And yes, unfollow all your entrepreneur influencers. Real ideas that work will never come from someone else, they will be organic just like yours.

@gmiang Alright cheers, that helps a lot. I’ll focus on the design like you mentioned and from there work out how I can draw up some money. Who knows I might have to just end up getting a normal job but whatever I’ll do what I’ve gotta do.